Local Peer Discovery

KyleK

Hi,

I was intrigued by the now Local Peer Discovery feature and wanted to check it out. I just don't seem to be able to recognize whether it works or not :)

I have 2 machines running Windows Vista behind a Fritz!Box WLAN router. Both run the latest beta, local peer discovery is enabled, as well as UPnP port mapping.

The latter works fine on both, and I put the same torrent in both clients. Still, there's no indication as to whether the 2 "see" each other.

I also tried connecting them directly using ICS, nothing either. Any idea what the problem could be?

In another note: In the Logger, the option "Log to file..." doesn't stick between restarts of µTorrent. Also, selecting this option during a run only logs stuff that comes in after a filename has been specified. The content in the Logger window is not.

This makes it a bit difficult to take a look at stuff that gets logged right after starting the program (e.g. UPnP stuff only shows up in Verbose Mode now, as does every other incoming message. The window buffer gets filled very fast, and earlier data is flushed out).

The current data in the Logger tab can be copied by selecting all and pressing Ctrl+C anyway. As for logging to file... that the logger can fill up so quickly is the exact reason why it shouldn't be on by default unless explicitly turned on (IMHO).

As for the Local Peer Discovery, make sure your firewall and router allow multicast.

if you don't use local peer discovery, but still have local peers connecting conventionally, they should be treated the same now as peers found through local peer discovery... not be bound by the upload/download caps. You'd have to have bt.limit_local_peers(sp?) turned off.

-- Smoovious

So what gives local peer that he's considered local? not be bound by the upload/download caps...ok, but does it get any priority over non-local peers? And is there a way to mark all peers from my ISP (they are on different subnets and using different IP ranges) as local since transfers between them dosn't count to my connection limit?

As for the Local Peer Discovery, make sure your firewall and router allow multicast.

I'm using Windows Vista Business on both machines, stock firewall only. Both computers are connected to a AVM Fritz!Box router.

I wouldn't know where to look in Vista for multicast abilities, same goes for the router. Any clues?

I want to ask again: will I notice on either machine that µTorrent detected a local peer? Is there a log message of some kind?

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I'm trying the same as the OP. I have 3 machines on a LAN connected to the router. 2 run x64 with SP2. One runs XP Home. All 3 have uTorrent RC2. We can't seem to get LPD to work.

Can you write a quick idiotproof checklist of things we need to do, with some idea of how to do them?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived