"uTorrent and software firewalls settings" thread [SPLIT DISCUSSIONS]

Firon

Remote outgoing port should really be all ports, not just 1024. There's a lot of people using ports <1024 for one reason or another.

UDP (currently) is only required for DHT for now. In the future, UDP NAT traversal will (obviously) require it.

PEX does not use UDP.

Loopback is not required, but there's no point in blocking it.

Zone Alarm free is not recommended period, it's very buggy and causes a lot of issues. Pro seems to be a bit better, but can also be a pain sometimes.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Remote outgoing port should really be all ports, not just 1024. There's a lot of people using ports <1024 for one reason or another.

Yes, you are correct, these settings are more of an example :D

UDP (currently) is only required for DHT for now. In the future, UDP NAT traversal will (obviously) require it. PEX does not use UDP. Loopback is not required, but there's no point in blocking it.

OK, good to know.

Zone Alarm free is not recommended period, it's very buggy and causes a lot of issues. Pro seems to be a bit better, but can also be a pain sometimes.

So i´ve heard, but obviously people get it to work, so their settings would be a nice addition to have.

Ultima,

ZA has always worked fine for me with uTorrent if I only follow you're guide up to 5). I've never needed an expert rule.

I do have one question though, what do you do about ICMP as I note the FAQ says "If you block ICMPs with your firewall (Windows Firewall blocks them by default), you should allow "Destination Unreachable" to aid the proper functioning of DHT (it works anyway though)." I have no idea how to do that in ZA.

Um I'm not sure, but I don't bother playing with it, since (as stated), it works anyway, whether you change any ICMP settings or not. If you want to change it, it's in the same place as step 4 on my "walkthrough" up above. I also thought I had no problems with going up to step 5 (I was playing around with my settings to see if I could streamline the guide), but I found that my speeds suffered without the Expert settings, even though it said "Network OK" (at the time, which would translate to Green light now). Maybe it was just coincidence, but I tend not to think so.

• 2 months later...

Hello Everyone,

Im using Utorrent 1.5, and I cant download , the DHT is sometimes yellow and sometimes Red I know its not a good indication, It says "NO INCOMING CONNECTION". I gusess its in the Network configuration, I am using a client computer attached to other computer who has the internet connection. I already dissabled firewall on my computer and on the host computer. Does anybody there can help me with this? Thank you very much!!

hello. i have just recently instaled utorrent 1.5 ... the problem is, i cant get it to download any thing. the last time i used utorrent before i formated my HDD, i remember having to change something in the "advanced" section, (something like *true or what ever) i just dont remember what. I can get the torrents but they wont start to download, and all i get is yellow conection light. Thank you for your help.

• 4 weeks later...

Good Evening All I'ma Newbie,

Having read all the threads in this discussion, I still have some questions about ZA. How do I know or select which ports to use; in step 4 of Ultima's guide this bit of information comes in handy. lol Then in step 13 which port number would i use there.

Thanks for all the good information and help and if anyone needs information on sound propagation I'd be glad to help.

OK, I'm not trying to be obtuse, really I'm not; but in all the discussions and faq's that I've read I'm really getting to feel stupid. In the options/preferences/connection I read the number in the port box. Is this five digit number the port that I need to list in a Ultima's guide?

Anyone experienced the uPnP stop working in uT1.6?

Everything was fine yesterday for me, but today, uTorrent is reporting that the connection is firewalled. There has been no change that I am aware of on either of my machines (one being a internet gateway, the other my normal machine which i run uTorrent on).

It's got me confused...

Thanks for your help Ultima (I know I know, Thank You's go in another forum lol) OK another question, but first a lead in from my other forum post so you know where I'm coming from.

"Here's the crux of my problem: My down spd is 16-40 kbs and my up spd is .5 to 4 kbs and I have a yellow network status light (all of the time). My internet tested at 1024/452. The reason for the router is three teenagers and before I forget the router is wireless, but I'm hard wired to it then through the modem.

I have Zone Alarm Pro for a firewall, a network everywhere NWR11B router, a Westell B90 modem from Bellsouth and I have their mid-range DSL. I've read every FAQ and completed every port forwarding link I could find and still it's taking close to two - two-half days to download 4-11 mb torrents.

My ZA shuts down after about 2 hours when I'm using uT. Although I've entered port 14188 into every imaginable place when I test it from the speed guide, the guide responds by saying that it doesn't appear to be open; if that don't beat all – ZA says uT is communicating thru port 14188."

The response I got was to "Disable UPnP in your router and in µTorrent.

Disable DHT in µTorrent.

Reduce half-open connections to only 4-6.

Run Speed Guide again and choose a lower upload speed setting than you're currently using.

If that doesn't work, uninstall Zone Alarm Pro and instead use your router's firewall and possibly Win XP's firewall to keep baddies out. Because chances are, Zone Alarm is blocking a lot of stuff it shouldn't -- like µTorrent traffic."

Now my question; (1) How do I disable the uPnP in my router and do I really want to do this? I've looked in the Forwarding menu and don't see a lot of options in there. (2) Where is the option of half-open connections in UTorrent? I'm running what I believe is the latest version (1.6) of uT and can't find it in the preferences menu.

Sorry to be long winded and hopefully not mis-undersood.

Thanks.

ChiefD,

You said you had wireless because of three teenages.. are they using the internet at the same time, possible doing downloads as well on other computers? If so, your download speed will be shared with them.

A yellow light in uTorrent means that you have not had any *incoming* connections. Red is bad, yellow is "may be" bad, and green is good.

Okay great troubleshooting hints here; things that I have done and their results:

(1) Shutdown ZA and ran µT – no difference in up or down speeds; ran it for about 3 hrs. and checked it about every 30-45 minutes. (Then ran my anti-virus/spy sweep and thankfully nothing negative.)

(2) Connected the computer straight to the modem – and for the first time I got a green status indicator. I ran it for about three hours this way (till the kids wanted on lol) and the most my speed got up to was 50-ish download and 30-ish upload; a modest improvement. I also, shutdown ZA and there was no difference noticed.

(3) Kids don't have download capability. The SOB they have for a Dad (me) doesn't allow it.

Next question: (1) how do I know how to make the "net.max_halfopen" 80% of the TCIP.sys limit? I understand the download speed is supposed to 80% of tested speed, but I don't know how to make this other number. I haven't found a FAQ for it.

Update – I have everything connected and running as per NOP and before µT; however I now have a green status indicator because of one thing different and that is using my IP address instead of my default gateway address.

In many of the FAQ's, it shows an IP address and insinuates that, that is the address of your default gateway; anyhow that's how I read it. So thanks for all your help and I can't really express my gratitude for your time and patience in helping me out and for learning something new today.

Oh by the way, can I still get the answer to my question about half-open's? lol

• 2 weeks later...

hi im new to these forums and if this isn't in the right please feel free to move or remove it but heres my problem i have Kerio WinRoute Pro 4.2 and don't know how to set it up correctly...im on a network with only one other computer on it which has the same program installed with no limitations in uTorrent 1.6 im getting a red status icon...ive set my uTorrent port to 38271 and set that same port in WinRoute as the following:Listin Port 38271, Listen IP <unspecified>, Protocol TCP/UDP, Destination IP my IP, Dest. Port 38271 and im not sure how to get green status icon...please help want to learn more....thank you all for your help

Hi there, could some one do a step by step explaination of how to configure NIS and/or Norton Firewall. The previous answer was too general for me to follow, and I don't want to make any mistakes and open my computer up to viruses etc. Thank you.

• 1 month later...

I dont what a TCP Port or UDP Port is or what it does? All I know is that it probarly help utorrent yellow sign turn into green sign.

I have Norton Internet Security, Microsoft Firewall.

I download PFConfig and IPNetInfo.

Can anybody help me get utorrent sign connected?

Archived