Search trough the torrent's filelist

Barton

That would be nice to implement a SearchBox for File lists in big torrents, for example if there's 1800 books and I need to search trough them to find only cSharp related. Something like filter, so when I enter CSharp I see only those files which contain it in the title. It will really help those of us who don't have an ability to download all the files, but want to search for some particular one (Scrolling down in search of that is pretty annoying, especially if there's a big quantity of the files)

Thanks!

P.S. You can better understand what I mean after watching the following screenshot:

screenshotda8.th.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hope the Search functionality is first implemented for searching the Torrents!!

Of course this is a good functionality to have, but then, utorrent does not even have the most primitive search to look for any particular torrent which is pretty anoying if you got like >100 torrents in ur list.

What was implemented (well, partially at the time) in the private build was searching (well, actually more like "filtering") through the main torrents view (i.e. not files within a torrent). I fixed the bugs with it but another developer wanted to discuss the design of it more - plus it wasn't originally intended for 1.7 builds... it kind of came in with the multitude of Vista-related changes. So, I will probably run some private builds with it, but it isn't planned for 1.7 which is going stable soon.

• 1 year later...

I was wondering what the status of this feature was, since it sounds like there were plans to put it in 1.8.

For large torrents with lots of files, being able to search through them would be a godsend. I generally would want to do a search on an individual torrent--when I'm adding it, and also when I'm looking at the Files tab. However, it would also be nice if you could search through all the torrent file lists that are currently in utorrent.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

So, just to make it clear, basically it's been TWO YEARS, and we're still where we are?

Why the hell nobody cares about this? This is a huge lack. I can't even believe there was no any search-filter option for all this time. This is just ridiculous!

• 1 month later...
Firon

There's only so much development time and this really hasn't been high priority. Most users don't have that many torrents. That's why it hasn't been done.

It's a feature we'd like to do, but don't have the time to do.

I had thought this feature request was mainly focused on filtering the files within an individual torrent. So, a user wouldn't need to have many torrents for the lack of filtering to be a problem. They would just need one torrent with lots of files in it. Is that really that rare of a scenario?

Of course, maybe the plan is to implement a search/filter feature that covers a lot more scenarios.

- Filtering the list of torrents

- Filtering the files in all the torrents

- Filtering the files in some subset of torrents

• 3 months later...

Any update on this? Either feature (searching through torrents or searching through the files in a torrent) would be a HUGE help if at all possible. I am very eager to see either/both of these features as soon as possible. Even if it brought up another window or something with a results list such that we could then find it by what the name starts with assuming one is looking for a character string that is in the middle of a torrent or file name.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Please add my votes for File tab searching and torrent Name searching!

As a stop-gap work-around for the former issue, File tab searching for individual file names, I have been printing the file list from the torrent Tracker's page(s) to a searchable .PDF file, but this adds inconvenient extra steps to find what I am looking for.

For the latter issue, I use a portable app, Everything.exe, to search among my torrent download folders. I can find similar torrent Names as well as similar individual Files across all downloads, both incomplete-new as well as completed downloads. This simple but powerful functionality suggests an add-in. Unfortunately, uTorrent does not support Add-ins--why not?

In advance of your kind consideration,

Thank you

• 11 months later...

....It's been 4 YEARS now!!! ....It's ver. 3.0 already, and those features are still not there yet...

Searching files and torrent list in utorrent itself would be much MUCH more useful than searching the web with utorrent, as everybody can go to their specific web to search the files to download themselves anyway. These two features are indeed critical in my opinion, as I have tonnes of torrents ULing and DLing, and scrolling through those 'jungle' to find a specific 'tree' or even 'leaf' is a pain in the rear....

Hope to see these features in uTorrent 3.1 or so....

Do this and no one will ever dare to ditch such a lovely client like uTorrent.

Thanks for the best client so far -3-

P.S. Keep seeding after DLed is good, don't you agree? (thus the 'jungle')

then perhaps there should be options user can choose to use a 'bulky-but-very-useful' or a 'tiny-but-not-so-useful'? (both available)

..And before someone has a chance to complain, no, plug-ins won't cut this. They just can't right-click torrents. controlling them (like limiting bandwidth, removing, force seeding, etc etc...)

--------

I think while I wait for this feature to get implemented, I'll just (temporarily) switch my future torrents to Vuze for its internal search box, and maybe stick to uTorrent remote for torrents I'm seeding...

I'll keep myself posted, really.

(BTW!, Vuze has got that too , the remote thing... (apparantly free too ) = = lots of work to catch up now, is it not? )

hmmm, it doesn't seems to be accessible outside my local network -*-;;

uTorrent, then.

• 1 month later...

Would also like to add to the chorus of people wanting to enjoy the ability to filter displayed torrents.

As organized a person as I am, when it comes to my torrents I'm just horrible. The other day I was trying to determine if a torrent had finished already and trying to locate that one particular torrent was a lot more painful than I thought it should be.

A simple filter I think should suffice for 90% of people, type in box and everything containing those characters remains. Would be use in all sorts of situations for sure! :)

I'd like to see such a filter box for list of torrents and torrent contents and of course, to be able to interact (right-click) said filtered torrents and change any number of options such as status, bandwidth allocation or whatnot.

When you get around to it, of course. I personally am patient and will wait... I cannot speak for others.

Plus, I can also just man up and GET ORGANIZED!! :P

Archived