Search trough the torrent's filelist

Barton

There's only so much development time and this really hasn't been high priority. Most users don't have that many torrents. That's why it hasn't been done.

It's a feature we'd like to do, but don't have the time to do.

Most utorrent users don't seed anyway. Seeding only clutters up the list and there is no search feature.

The problem Firon is that you made Utorrent to good. People like me add thousands of torrents and the thing just keeps on running. We are all getting the wrong impression this is what the software is suppose to be used like. I understand you feel I should just delete everything but you need to come up with a better excuse for it than just the being to lazy to make a search feature. :D

Now every time I have to manually search this huge list I think it is ok because most people don't have anything in their client.

............................................________

....................................,.-'"...................``~.,

.............................,.-"..................................."-.,

.........................,/...............................................":,

.....................,?......................................................,

.................../...........................................................,}

................./......................................................,:`^`..}

.............../...................................................,:"........./

..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../

............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../

.........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/

..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}

...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../

...,,,___.`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../

............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"

............/.`~,......`-...................................../

.............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__

,,_..........}.>-._...................................|..............`=~-,

.....`=~-,__......`,.................................

...................`=~-,,.,...............................

................................`:,,...........................`..............__

.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``

........................................_..........._,-%.......`

In stead, howabout a way to automagically seed the torrents that died because so many people don't seed because there is no search feature in their client? For those very few people who do have many torrents in this lovely client of yours (no mistake about that). We would be eternally grateful to say the least. Maybe even longer.

Are you really sure most utorrent users are not seeding? Assuming you are, there might be other things that could be improved.

Maybe you could create something that hides the entries from the interface. The stuff I'm seeding I have seen already (or made myself), it isn't all that interesting compared to the stuff I recently downloaded. A kind of label called "hidden" could do the trick.

I also have tons of "invalid download state" torrents. I have those files some place the drive letter changed. When I run into any of those I don't need to download them again. Leaving those entries in the client helps remind me. And I have a ton of magnets that mostly refuse to start at this moment. That visual list data is even more meaningless.

I would love not seeing that data.

Maybe those people who delete everything got the right idea. Maybe we shouldn't be looking at things that are older than X days/weeks/months

The search box could have a checkbox that says "search archives".

Hope this helps,

Good luck and thanks for the software :)

Most utorrent users don't seed anyway. Seeding only clutters up the list and there is no search feature.

Yezz!! You've pointed it clearly that there shouldn't be anyone arguing the issue. xD

Hope that include the mods, devs and admins too.

I've got some 75 torrents seeding, and the up speed keep spiking some 2MB/s and dropping to a mere KB every few seconds due to its (lame?) intelligent bw management, I guess (the active seeding list keep dropping and growing every few sec). I've got them spreading on 3 hdds you know and I'm suspecting that just one down and uT would speed down the whole thing. - -*

Guess this is another reason to support gaby's point

...and i have a fiber optic connection with a 5400rpm, a 7200 rpm, a 2x usb 3.0, and a 2630qm...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

It's beyond any facepalms that functionality as simple and necessary as filtering through the large list of data is still missing in utorrent. It's 2012 and people are drowning in information.

It was the one thing that infuriated me most of all in Visual Studio where you had to painstakingly scroll through the list of references or components to find the one you need wasting minutes per day. Thankfully in 2010sp1 they finally made the filter -- and gosh what a relief it is (seriously)!

I am dealing with hundreds of torrents daily and each time I sort and scroll up and down the torrent list, I'm plagued with the thought: why, oh why did the developers leave out this must-have feature that would take them only 5 mins to implement.

Please guys, have mercy on us, powerseeders and powerleechers, and stick in the quick and basic torrent filter! (possibly in the same box as the current search window with a dropdown 'Search my torrents' or some such)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

This is my first post, so have mercy :)

Lucky that I found this thread; I was just about to ask about a search device like the one other users would love to have in uTorrent. So yes, I also humbly request something for searching within the torrent lists. A small box that searches as you type (like the one in OperaMail, for instance) would be perfect, in my opinion; uBrowse is OK but it is a bit slow.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
uBrowse is OK but it is a bit slow.

It's more than slow, it's unusable. For 700 torrents I've never gotten anything more than a frozen window from it.

It needs better threading.

Its thread locks the GUI thread for several seconds or several minutes even if it's set at idle priority.

Once the uBrowse window is deselected its thread instantly goes to zero cycles. But it can lock the GUI thread so that it's impossible to deselected it (by selecting one of the other tabs such as Torrents).

I tried running Tribler for a bit, and as rough and slow as it is, a similar search feature was insanely useful. Combined with the power of labels in uTorrent and the fact that I like to seed a lot of obscure fairly rare things like abandonware, this would be very useful.

I agree with the above user that the inclient websearch is useless for me; not only do we have browsers for that, but it just links to my browser anyway(!?) Plus magnet links make it seemless to come from my browser back to the client anyway, meaning even an integrated browsing experience would be less than ideal.

• 3 weeks later...

Another request for search.

Although I can search the torrent files in Windows Explorer, I often name them differently in uTorrent. It is the torrent names I give that I would like to search on.

The option to also include the individual files within each torrent, would be nice too.

uBrowse is unusable for me as well. Is there any code around that can parse resume.dat. I'd like to write an application/extension for this.

Is this a possible solution / work around?

Enable Web GUI access in the options. Access the client from your favorite browser (You need to use the right IP and port # - Example: http://192.168.0.106:6881/gui). Now both the torrent list and the file list are searchable (Hit Ctrl-F with the focus on the particular window pane). This seems to implement the desired filter functionality.

• 1 month later...

No idea what you mean there. WebUI's listview filters filter out everything in the list besides those that contain the given query string. For what reason would you ever have to "search again"? Have you actually tested it?

• 2 months later...

I couldn't resist to add my post to the list of the user's who like me can't believe that still now there is not any search feature available in uT, though actually I retired from this forum a long time ago because it's all just a waste of time... you can follow "promise" after "promise", just warm air nothing else!! :mad:

As a matter of fact it's a pain in the a*** when you are seeding thousands of torrents (like I do for several years now) and you want to keep track of different things and you have only some basic functionality which allows you to change the order based on the shown column titles (name, label, status etc).

Even now I still have to count how many torrents are in there by counting them one by one... because there is not even a little figure appearing in the status bar for instance telling how many torrent are selected (highlighted). That's a real joke but true!!

All i can say for those like me struggling with this type of basic problems is try to work as best as possible with the labels (I have dozen of groups to simplify the search) and divide the content in several uT sessions running in parallel (though this one is of course also tricky because of the bandwith management and handling problem it may create).

If you are searching for a good example of devs / mods you cannot trust upon when they are talking about the future implementation of a new feature don't look further... you will not find better than in this forum!! :D

Archived