Create trackerless (DHT) torrent

splintax

Hi everyone,

Thanks first of all to the µT team for this brilliant app :D And thanks especially for adding DHT, that's what got me off of Azureus. (I think that the combined number of DHT users is much bigger than Azureus users, as well. :D)

I just tried to create a torrent today, and was disappointed to note that it doesn't support DHT torrents. That is, µT only downloads DHT, it won't create them.

This is my main feature request. At least I don't have to reinstall Azureus though - I'll just keep using maketorrent until you guys implement it. :)

Trackers don't protect it from anything like that, private torrent sites take care of the ratio thing by removing the leechers.

I don't think that Torrents should always be created as DHT torrents because then private sites will also have DHT enabled which means that anyone can join in on the leeching heh...

Making of DHT torrents would be nice though and of course magnet uri support would be great

It's on by default for all clients, because private trackers aren't the majority. The ones on private sites are the ones with special needs, hence they should change it themselves. I'll say it again, if they care about it, they can make the tracker check for the flag, or even make the tracker add it. They shouldn't force everyone else to do things another way by default 'cause they can't be arsed to even check for a private flag.

And you can already make DHT torrents, just use a bogus tracker URL :P I think the beta version lets you make a torrent without a tracker, but I'd have to check.

edit2: Yep, it does.

• 3 months later...

For a test i made a trackerless torrent over a file i uploaded several days before. (The torrent was still active).

It worked at a glance over DHT without ANY tracker. :)

But a problem with trackerless torrents are: you aren't able to upload them to dumpsites. NewNova/TorrentSpy/Mininova are not accepting torrents without tracker-announces.

I even tried a torrent with a fake tracker (dummytracker.org:9666/announce) but the upload failed again (message: tracker not responding).

But i still believe trackerless torrents are the way to go.

Any thoughts?

Only seems logical to me... tracker sites need to scrape the torrent to know how many seeds/peers to display on their sites. They don't connect to DHT (or I presume they don't), so they can't know how many peers are available through that network.

• 8 months later...

Hi,

Sorry to bring up such an old thread. But I had a couple questions on DHT and I figured this is as good a place as any. :)

Say somebody creates a torrent with no tracker, but enables DHT instead. How does the first client find the seeder? Is his IP in the torrent?

Second, does utorrent proxy DHT connections if you configure a proxy in the connections dialog?

TIA

~ss

He announces it onto the DHT network. So then other people know he's got the torrent and is looking for peers. Then, when someone else gets a hold of the torrent, starts it, and is connected to DHT, he too announces it on DHT. When the messages propogate, and one peer finds the other (or both find each other), they (hopefully) connect to each other.

Only if the clients are using compatible implementations of DHT. Currently, there are two major implementations of DHT: mainline (compatible with BitComet and µTorrent), and Azureus (you guessed it -- only compatible with Azureus). Both implementations are not compatible with each other, and there are no known clients that use both implementations, so there is no bridge for both networks. As such, Azureus DHT users won't be able to find µTorrent DHT users (for example).

I was using the official BitTorrent client to make trackerless .torrents since it gives you that option. I believe the last version (4.9.2) added the option to use port "65536" instead of their usual "6889" for DHT. I think this is a nice change, through I still won't use the client for download.

The more things I can use µTorrent for the happier I'll be.

And use I can't wait for µTorrent to get Azureus DHT. Especially since Azureus meta links comes with that.

Archived