Firewalls

Pwnage

Im looking for a good lightweight firewall. Ive used zonealarm before, but didnt really like anything about it other than the fact that it showed the up and down in the taskbar with green and red bars and that it asked me if i wanted to grant outbound connections. Im looking for a firewall that will allow me to have control over what programs can access the internet. Basicly when something trys to connect to the internet, it will ask weither or not i want it to.

Thats about every firewall in windows, really. All of them are application-based (tough, windows cant do connection-based filtering anyway) and almost all of them have learning-modes.

Try Tiny Personal Firewall, Seems to be a good all-around firewall. I heard good things about lavasoft's firewall and about outpost aswell.

Though, ZoneAlarm is known for its good level of protection, even the freeware edition.

For the record id say that outbound filtering is pretty useless on windows (application based) anyway :P

PS: this and your other post are on the wrong forum - Troubleshooting is for problems with uTorrent. Use 'Chat' or 'General' next time.

They weren't saying that it was a security risk, just that it's not as secure as a lot of people make it out to be. That would be the case if you don't know what you're allowing to connect (it becomes pointless, since you'd probably allow any application an outbound connection if you didn't know what you were doing).

Ultima: the problem is that any application can easily bypass that filtering by masquerading as "trusted" ones, or many other methods, and LeakTest has proven it time and time again, by only using GENERAL exploits, not even stuff targetted for any specific firewall...

That might be the case with crappy firewalls, but mine here (ZoneAlarm) prompts me whenever it tries to connect. Besides this...

This first versions 1.x of Leaktest simply demonstrate how any TRIVIAL malicious program can easily bypass any current software firewall! The only exception to this is ZoneLabs' free ZoneAlarm, because ZoneAlarm is the only firewall to cryptographically certify the identity of executable programs.

=P

ZoneAlarm warns me whenever an application changes (it checks hashes as well as name and whatever), so applications can't really masquerade as others.

Ah, I see. I suppose that makes ZA stand above the rest, but unfortunately that still leaves all the users on crappy firewalls. Good to know there's at least one that isn't so easily beaten, though

on another note, what were the questions you wanted me to add to the FAQ? I forgot what they were... plugin system was the only one I can recall.

Well, it sorta went into this tangent because you asked, "but why is that a security risk?"

Anyway, Outpost firewall (I tried it before, it was a decent firewall) is fairly light. I've also heard of Look n Stop, which BloodStaindHurricane mentioned earlier (which is very light, according to what I've read about it before). I'm not sure how exactly Look n Stop works, though, since I've never used it. Thus, I'm not sure if it will ask you when an application tries to access the internet.

Archived