Logo (56kers beware)

ludde

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my guessing is that hes just another noobie kid who probably cant even work MS Paint let alone something like photoshop or fireworks, and just sits here trying to insult other ppls work to try and make himself feel better.

There are still people like that around? I thought we killed them all already with that shipment of Pocky we poisoned. :(

Ok, here are some sketches for my latest take, with a bit of an essay on how I came up with the idea (doing studio art in high school has given me a habit of writing down my thought process).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If taking business management has tought me anything its that the logo is an essential part of brand recognition. When you hear the name of the business or product the logo should pop into your head, and vice versa. Although big corporations can easily achieve this effect through advertising, smaller businesses and products have had to adopt a more literal approach when designing their logo. This concept has been demonstrated well by various BitTorrent clients - when you hear "BitComet", you think of a comet and the appropriate logo comes to mind. The same goes for BitTornado and others. The problem facing uTorrent, however, is that there is no noun in the name, no clear object to identify, rather an adjective which can be tied to a number of images. This caused me to think - what is micro? The first things that sprang to mind were a microchip and an atom, the latter of which works surprisingly well for our purposes. Atoms are tiny, simple, powerful. Sound familiar? So I ran with this idea, taking the popular image of an atom (a circle with the paths of neutrons and electrons going around it) and jazzing it up a bit by "borrowing" ( ;) ) MechR's green and blue arrows to represent data flow. Below are some sketches I threw together last night. As you can see, the first versions were looking a bit 2D and crowded, so I changed it a bit for the second one, as well as trying a different colour scheme. I'd like to get your feedback on the idea before I give it the whole photoshop treatment.

5.jpgu1.jpg

4.jpg6.jpg

Did these last night while I had some time. Just 2 mascot ideas shaped around a "scifi" theme. Please don't view them as entirely finished b/c I can make them better when I have more avail. time. As far as smaller icons, the little alien in the helmet should work ok(havent converted it yet to see) and the taller, cartoonish one wouldnt necessarily need to be converted down to icon size. You could use just an image of the alien's head, a ufo symbol, etc, etc. This is just an alternate theme to throw out in the mix. Later.

utorrentmascotscopy2dg.th.jpg

the little alien looks good as a icon if you make a small modifications =

* remove the µ

* the glass on the helmet in a singel green/gray color

* make the black lines stronger

see =

ualien7uz.png

I like that smaller guy of BloodStaindHurricane's latest ideas, but I think that Shrill's tribal guy is better for icons, t-shirst etc., so I still vote for tribal guy :)

Interesting idea, could be good idea :)

Ok, here I am with my two cents, it's still on an early stage but you can see the main concept that is the more important part for me by now.

bloodcells0zb.th.png

Blood cells, comply with the following...

They are small (µ concept)... and there are millions (like P2P population)... they flow fast through veins (like a torrent) spreading oxygen (like bytes in torrent protocol to the users). The logo provide a fast association and deep red colour captivate the attention, finally the blood cell symbol can't be confused with any kind of virus or bacterium symbols, all people know how a blood cell is.

That's all by now, hope you like it.

Best regards.

utorrent040vo.png

Hope this sheds some light on the thinking behind the logo's creation. ;)

that's a great idea, it's loveable, recognizable and easy to use cross-medial since it's flat and almost unicolored. :)

i think BSH's aliens are lovely too, but they might prove to be harder to implement in different forms/functions.

edit: the bloodcells idea is pretty nice, but i don't think it can compete with (for instance) azureus' "living" logo. somehow an abstract concept seems to focus a little too much on the technical side of the program, rather than it's usability (which is, in the end, more important to give µtorrent true mass appeal).

my guessing is that hes just another noobie kid who probably cant even work MS Paint let alone something like photoshop or fireworks' date=' and just sits here trying to insult other ppls work to try and make himself feel better.[/quote']

There are still people like that around? I thought we killed them all already with that shipment of Pocky we poisoned. :(

LOL LOL LOL

BTW a couple of things..

1. i finally got my wirless network back up so i can start working again

2. i pulled some favors and got some help in designing some logos, mascots, even webpage revamping (if ludd is interested) i gave him the page and he took a look so hope for the best everyone. FINALLY we can have some professional work done. if ludd can return my emails then i'll ask him specificly where to focus on.

Archived