Logo (56kers beware)

ludde

I think BSHs tiny birds look really nice, but a bird has been used for a logo to many times. The tribal guy is trully unique and Ive never seen anything remotely like it in a logo before. It really sticks in your head and thats the point of a logo - unique image that everyone will immediately assosiate with uTorrent.

• Replies 833
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I still think the tribal guy is the best "concept", but I think the logo could be improved...it's too boring with just a single color.

I like BloodStainedHurricane's artist skills, for example the little space guy is nice, but I don't see how a space guy relates to µTorrent? Maybe he can use his skills to improve the tribal guy concept, with a bit of shading and something more perhaps? Would that be ok with Shrill?

The winning logo will get $30.

Also, it would be nice if you can make examples of what the application logo and tray icon would look like (32x32 and 16x16 pixels). Also maybe an icon for those with docks? (is that 96x96? )

/Ludde

I know i'm replying late in the post but +1 vote for the "tribal guy". It's very unique and I like it just the way it is! :D and like ludde said "It would be so cool with a little animation with the tribal guy jumping around and stomping on azureus/bitcomet icons :D)

...lol.

And a tribal guy relates to utorrent how exactly?

I know "something" was said before to tie it in with utorrent, but it was a little out in left field. The space guy was just a mascot, just as the tribal guy is...with no obvious relationship to utorrent. Am I the only one that doesnt see the connection? I'm really not on the same page as you guys, but congrats to Shrill. I'd really rather not alter another person's design...as I've spent too much time as it is on this thread on my own concepts. Plus, it's his design. I'd be happy to come up with my own "tribal concept", but I do not want to modify his in anyway. If I were to offer a suggestion towards Shrill's tribal concept, it'd be to change his "vegetable" appearance. I think its the tall sprigs of hair. I also do not believe that the tribal guy is closed-in enough to be a nice 16x16 icon. One thing alot of you dont seem to realize is that you do not always have to use the same "design" resized for the 16x16 icon. You keep with the theme, but can design something new specifically for that size. That's been the main problem here. You're too worried how each design will look at 16x16, and its swaying your judgement. Something simpler and extremely toned down could be made, based on the original, to satisfy the 16x16 icon. But I think that holding back on a creative idea that looks great at a large scale simply b/c the resized 16x16 version "may" not look as great is just crippling the potential for a great design. Later.

Congrats again to Shrill. The design is unique and like I said after first seeing it...it has loads of character.

BloodStaindHurricane I can understand your frustration, and must say your design work is of high quality, however as you mentioned early on in this thread it is indeed a tricky task to come up with something that represents µTorrent without using the µ symbol.

Regarding ludde's recent post: Firstly let me just say I don't want any money for creating the logo, those are not my motives and I wouldn't accept any. I stated in my first post here I have been using µTorrent for a while and just wanted to give back to the community and the developers (just like you BSH).

I just happened to come up with the (tribal guy) pygmy concept when brainstorming some ideas, it seems to work on some level and looked cool so I submitted it for consideration. People seem to like it.

Please also bare in mind I haven't developed the concept at all (in order to save myself the effort and time I wanted to see if it was liked first), there is a whole lot more I can do with it in terms of colours and shading if that is required.

As for relating it to µTorrent, I agree it's not perfect but it's a pygmy basically, they are small and some would say powerful and master's of their domain (the jungle) hell they're probably even fast (I don't know, never seen a pygmy run!)

Pygmy's also hunt things... like hmm, I don't know... blue frogs ;)

On a few select levels the pygmy works as a mascot, it's also cute and friendly. But I agree with you BSH it's not ideal, but I'm not sure we will find the "perfect" logo for µTorrent.

I liked your little spaceman, and the humming bird logo, both are pretty good concepts. I also agree with you about the 16x16 size, it doesn't have to be an exact replica of the larger logo (eMule being a good example of that).

I'd be more than happy to develop the tribal guy further now that I know it's a likely contender for being selected. I shall do so and post back here in a few days (busy schedule unfortunately).

One thing alot of you dont seem to realize is that you do not always have to use the same "design" resized for the 16x16 icon. You keep with the theme, but can design something new specifically for that size. That's been the main problem here. You're too worried how each design will look at 16x16, and its swaying your judgement. Something simpler and extremely toned down could be made, based on the original, to satisfy the 16x16 icon. But I think that holding back on a creative idea that looks great at a large scale simply b/c the resized 16x16 version "may" not look as great is just crippling the potential for a great design.

What he said :)

At 16x16, only the most basic of icons will look OK since you end up throwing out a lot of detail when resizing. However, that dosen't mean you can't specifically tweak the 16x16 version a bit to make it stand out more. Whether that means simplifying the design for that size, reducing the number of colors, making the colors stand out more, or even using a slightly different verison (e.g., a stylized hummingbird 16x16 icon, a realistic hummingbird logo and 92x92 icon).

JigPu

Steve, you're right, the hummingbird concept doesnt have alot of character, but I wasnt going for the "Look at me. I'm cute" hummingbird. I approached that idea with a more serious side, which would explain why you think they are boring.

If anyone has any other good ideas that they wanna see attempted, feel free to post them and I'll give them a shot. Not everyone has experience in Photoshop and may have some nice ideas that need to be laid out before the final decision.

Came up with this ninja theme as ninja's are known for being silent and quick...2 things that I thought represented utorrent pretty well. Great speeds and you hardly know its there. But, I remembered someone mentioning a cat as a mascot, so I combined the 2. I also have this in "human" form. It may not be comical, but it at least has character. I was thinking of adding a weapon in his hand, similar to the spear in the tribal guy's hand, but hadnt gotten to it yet.

ninjacat3hx.th.jpg

Ooh, I missed this thread blush.gif

Yea, I like the tribal guy one yes.gif

One thing alot of you dont seem to realize is that you do not always have to use the same "design" resized for the 16x16 icon. You keep with the theme, but can design something new specifically for that size. That's been the main problem here. You're too worried how each design will look at 16x16, and its swaying your judgement. Something simpler and extremely toned down could be made, based on the original, to satisfy the 16x16 icon.
I also agree with you about the 16x16 size, it doesn't have to be an exact replica of the larger logo (eMule being a good example of that).

It would make sense to lose the body & just to have the head for the 16x16 size.

Just a FYI there is already a company called Hummingbird, so maybe that isn't the best animal for a mascot.

If anyone is thinking to use an animal for a logo I still think a gull would be the best choice.

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/information/Larus_canus.html

Mew Gull ... how can you go wrong with that ;)

If we cant use hummingbird because some company is called hummingbird and uses hummingbird for a logo, then we cant use gulls either, cause OpenOffice.org already uses seagulls.

All animals have been used several times, it's ok to use the same animal if the logo doesn't look to similar to others.

But µTorrent is a p2p program, so we can't choose a animal that another p2p program might use.

Because when people see the logo, they shouldn't need to think what p2p program it is.

I liked your little spaceman, and the humming bird logo, both are pretty good concepts. I also agree with you about the 16x16 size, it doesn't have to be an exact replica of the larger logo (eMule being a good example of that).

Yep!, I agree, just because I was the person that designed eMule pet, logo and icons ;)

In that case I used a representation of its head only, this gives you the possibility to include more detail and improve the icon appearance, anyway those small icons always need to be made by pixeling it from the start, I designed the baby mule in vector format but the icon verions was made in a pure old fashion pixel work.

All animals have been used several times, it's ok to use the same animal if the logo doesn't look to similar to others.

But µTorrent is a p2p program, so we can't choose a animal that another p2p program might use.

Because when people see the logo, they shouldn't need to think what p2p program it is.

I think that each program needs a different solution, obviously when I designed the eMule pet it was easy... the program calls itself eMule so there is no doubt.

uTorrent needs some more complex designing, in fact, in this case not to much animals match with uTorrent concept, and abstract objects can be controversially too.

My blood cells idea comes motivated firstly due the main concepts of uTorrent and P2P programs, and try to comply with all of them, uTorrent is small, there are millions of users, and it fast spread amounts of data through the net. But this is only my idea and my personal taste too. :)

Regarding the current candidates, there are some good ideas...

I like the tribal guy but maybe it not comply with all the uTorrent concepts, so there is no a direct association between it and the program. It's a good solution if you don't mind about match concepts. In another hand I agree with Ludde it needs a bigger version with more detail, the current one fits better for an icon but will look small and muffled on a web header or about screen.

Hummingbird, it's a good idea and it comply with some of the uTorrent concepts, small, smart, fast,... but lacks one of them, a humminbird doesn't work together with the group, it's a lonely element, and in the P2P world one of the more important facts is the community.

Ninja and Alien, these are on the same line that the tribal guy but I prefer these ones, look better and they fit better in an about screen, web, etc, the small icon version could be the problem but it's a question of work on it a bit more.

I want to profit by the occasion and congratulate Ludde and Co for this great torrent client. Thanks dude ;)

Best regards.

EDIT: Oh! Excuse my poor english!

Archived