Can µTorrent damage files?

Nordic

...in some situations (close it wrong etc.?) or is it due to other reasons and what are those most often?

Quite often I start file/torrent and see that it goes nowhere due to lack of seeders. So I decide to remove it, but doing so µTorrent seems to freeze for awhile... from few secons (smaller files) to few minutes (20GB files or so). What causes this and can it "damage" other torrents I'm downloading at the moment? While µTorrent/screen freezes... is it still downloading "behind the scenes" or not?

Then there is this weird issue on maybe every fifth file when I open them for seeding. While µTorrent checks the file it stops at 99.2% or so and it starts to download "missing" 0.8%. So it goes back to 100%, but when I open this same file for seeding on some other time, it's the same 99.2% again. I may do it 10 times and every time it's the same. What the heck is "missing"?!

Thank you for any advise!

The application hanging shouldn't cause any data corruption, though it might cause µTorrent to stop transferring data until it unhangs itself. If you're still using µTorrent 1.6.1, and are getting annoyed with this apparent freezing, try the 1.7 betas, which should fix the issue.

Two things I've witnessed:

1. If your computer crashes/freezes, uTorrent may sometimes record a piece chunk as having been received when in fact it was never completely written to the drive. This will cause you to send bad data to other peers as well as have an incomplete copy of the file. (Forcing a re-check finds the bad piece chunk.)

2. I once stopped a torrent, dragged several of its completed files to another drive with more room, marked them "do not download", then restarted the torrent and set the remaining parts to download. Later, when I recombined all the files in the folder and force re-checked, uTorrent reported that all of the moved files' first and end pieces were missing and re-downloaded them. (The files were in fact fine, and they hadn't been renamed or modified in any way.)

(Caveat: These are in 1.6.1, so the causes may have been fixed. Moderators move to bug-reports if necessary.)

Thank you for your comments! I updated it now to latest beta...

So if you suspect that your file is incomplete/corrupted, you should re-check the file... And if it says 100% at the end, the file should be perfect?

But my last example in my previous post remains still as a mystery. Well, your first thought is that the file is incomplete/corrupted if it says 99.2%, right?! But this happens also when there seems to be no problems while downloading (no freezes, hashfails etc.) and during playback... BUT when I open the file for seeding it re-checks first and stops somewhere around 99%. I may download the remaining 1% 100 times and ALWAYS it says 99% complete at the end of re-checking.

This may happen on every 5th file or so as mentioned earlier. So does it always mean the file is actually incomplete as it says OR can it fool you?

Archived