port forwarding

lynzinthesun

I have read all help I can find regarding port forwarding but still can't seem to sort out opening the incoming port.

The problem seems to be that I can not get a static IP as I am a blueyonder customer and they don't support static IP for home users. Due to this my icon is always orange/red and download speeds are slow. Please excuse any mistakes in where this is posted and so on as I have never used a forum before. This has just got me up the wall and I was hoping someone may know a way around this problem.

Thanks in advance for any ideas anyone has.

Lyndsay

Who told you you can NOT get a Static IP your ISP??They are thinking of the External Static IP which Cost money but The Static IP you need to setup is for your Computer and you CAN Set One up. Have a look at this guide on How to Choose and Setup a Static IP:

http://forum.portforward.com/YaBB.cgi?board=Knowledge;action=display;num=1116577357

Is that all you are having trouble with??

Thanx,

Got that far but when I follow the instructions at Port forward I don't get internet access. This is supposedly due to having the wrong DNS server IP. Port forward suggests just phoning your ISP and asking for it but with blueyonder it's not that simple.

They say they don't support wireless routers and don't support port forwarding (ie static IP ).

This probably just means the person on the other end doesn't know what I am talking about but they refuse to give me the DNS location anyway. I was hoping someone who uses blueyonder may have already had this problem and knows the settings.

thanks,

Lyndsay

OK Well Some ISP's are real Pains in the butt and refuse to give out the DNS servers but you can get around this. You can Use your Default Gateway (Routers IP) for the DNS server and leave the Secondary DNS Server Blank.

What this does is your Router acts as a Relay and relays the Actual DNS server IP. that way you will be able to Setup a static IP. :)

EDIT: did you see the DNS server List at PortForward?? If NOT here is the Link:

http://forum.portforward.com/YaBB.cgi?board=Routers;action=display;num=1115416655

By the way what does the IPCONFIG /ALL List as your DNS Server IP's??

Will try what you suggested, thanx. On the command screen ipconfig/all shows the DNS server IP's 62.30.0.39 and 195.188.53.175 but underneath that it says something that I don't get. It says Lease obtained and lease expires and gives two times two hours apart. I have checked and the times do keep updating every 2 hrs. I was wondering if this could be something to do whith the problem.

Thanx again.

Lyndsay

no the lease shouldnt be the problem, mine does that too, and i assume everyone elses does, to be honest, i dont know what the lease thing is all about... did you try to access your router page? type in your router ip address, (which is usually 192.168.1.1 by default) into your browser and try to find the place about port forwarding, i dont think your ISP has anything to do with that, it could just be your router not supporting port forwarding... but then again, i only found out was port forwarding was and how to do it last night so chances are im wrong :P

Archived