Slow download speeds

davdavon

In the last couple of weeks I've been getting slow download speeds (right now, for example, I'm downloading a torrent with 427 seeds at a speed of ~30kbps, where in the past I'd download such a torrent from the same tracker at 300kbps). I don't remember changing anything in my computer lately so I've no idea why this started happening.

I've tried almost everything that's written in the FAQ: using the speed guide to choose upload speed, deleting Firewall exception and recreating it, disabling DHT and UPnP, lowering maximum global number of connections, going back to default settings, downloading torrents from the recommended trackers in the FAQ, enabling protocol encryption, verifying everything that it says I should, following the instructions for AMD Athlon 62 X2 users... nothing seems to help.

Required information:

The network status light is green

Operating system is Windows XP Pro

I'm using Windows Firewall, NOD32 and Windows Defender. I occasionally run Adaware.

I don't have a router. The modem model is Terayon TJ715

ISP: 012 (Israeli ISP)

Connection type: Cable.

Speed test results: Download 1219kbps, Upload 249kbps, Latency 210ms

Port checker says:

Welcome to the µTorrent Port Checker.

A test will be performed on your computer to check if the specified port is opened.

Checking port 61116 on 87.68.187.100...

OK! Port 61116 is open and accepting connections.

You will be able to receive incoming BitTorrent connections.

Settings according to speed guide:

Upload Limit 22kbps, Upload slots 3, Connections 70, Connections (global) 130, Max active torrents 2, Max active downloads 1

In other words... Help!

(Thanks!)

(Forgot to add: I'm using the latest beta, but the problem started with 1.6.1)

Thanks for the advice... I tried decreasing the maximum number of connections to 25 but it didn't help. Is there a way for me to know for sure if my ISP is throttling me? I can call and ask them, of course, but I can't be sure that they'll tell me the truth...

Try searches on this forum and GOOGLE searches to see if others have reported problems with your ISP + BitTorrent.

I've heard that NOD32 AV can cause problems...so look into that too.

Did you also try disabling Resolve IPs and show country flags?

I called my ISP and they said that they don't interfere with P2P programs. I also looked for mentions of them here on the forum and they seem to be fine.

I tried turning NOD32 off but it didn't help.

I also tried disabling resolve IPs and flags... didn't help.

Any other idea?

Did you try completely uninstalling NOD32 AV and if that didn't help reinstalling the latest NOD32 AV version?

Disabling antivirus and firewall software often doesn't remove its DLLs (and effects of those often badly-written DLLs) from RAM memory.

Archived