Feature Request Index page with Voting

NiteShdw

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update: The RSS links now just right to the topic in question.

I am also working on having it display if you have already voted on each feature. If you have any other ideas for the page, feel free to post them.

On that note, perhaps someone can help with the MYSQL syntax? I don't want to do a separate SELECT for each feature to see what the vote is. I have two tables, one with all the features, and one with the list of votes by IP, feature id, and vote.

How can I get a MySQL SELECT statement to show all the rows from the features table, and if there is a matching row in the votes table (based ont he user's IP), show that, or NULL if no match.

Start µTorrent minimized in tray at system startup

Include an option to start µTorrent minimized in tray (when "start µTorrent on system startup" is enabled).

It says "implemented", but I can't find that option in 1.5. There are some tray options, but there's no special option for this request!

Sometimes µTorrent does startup in tray, I believe it has something to do with how you closed µTorrent the previous time. I'd like µTorrent to always startup in tray, no matter what.

µTorrent is the perfect Bittorrent client. For me, this single option is the only thing that's missing.

On that note, perhaps someone can help with the MYSQL syntax? I don't want to do a separate SELECT for each feature to see what the vote is. I have two tables, one with all the features, and one with the list of votes by IP, feature id, and vote.

How can I get a MySQL SELECT statement to show all the rows from the features table, and if there is a matching row in the votes table (based ont he user's IP), show that, or NULL if no match.

Something like:

SELECT *

FROM features

LEFT OUTER JOIN votes ON features.feature_id = votes.feature_id AND votes.ip_address = 'users ip address'

(I haven't tried this on MySql, but it's pretty standard SQL, so should work)

• 2 weeks later...

This is very nice but may I add a request for the feature request list ;)

When people vote No, what does that mean, does it mean that they don't want that feature to implemented or do they just think Ludde has more important things to take care of? Perhaps, three alternatives would be good: Yes, No, Not important. Or perhaps a possibility to vote for prio would be even better. I.e. to keep two alternatives, Yes and No but to also be able to vote 1 to 5 for prio.

Edit: Hmm so what does No and high prio means, strongly against I think. So a third option would be to have a selection box with values from strongly for to strongly against.

The question is whether people feel that the feature should be implemented. Their reasons why are somewhat irrevelant. If they think it's just bloat, they vote no. If they think there are more important things, they probabaly should just not vote at all. If you look through the list, it's easy to see which features are desired and which are not.

Of course, I can't even guarantee that Ludde even looks at the list (I seriously have no idea). Some of the most requested features haven't been implemented, and some with very negative feedback have been.

On that note' date=' perhaps someone can help with the MYSQL syntax? I don't want to do a separate SELECT for each feature to see what the vote is. I have two tables, one with all the features, and one with the list of votes by IP, feature id, and vote.

How can I get a MySQL SELECT statement to show all the rows from the features table, and if there is a matching row in the votes table (based ont he user's IP), show that, or NULL if no match.[/quote']

Something like:

SELECT *

FROM features

LEFT OUTER JOIN votes ON features.feature_id = votes.feature_id AND votes.ip_address = 'users ip address'

(I haven't tried this on MySql, but it's pretty standard SQL, so should work)

Ahh... I was just doing LEFT JOIN. I tried that query and it seems to work just fine. I'm self-taught in PHP and MySQL, so I appreciate the assistance.

I have this feature up and running now. Right now it just displays the option you selected in bold. I welcome any ideas on a different way to see what you've voted on (like a background color or something).

UPDATE - New Features for the Feature Request Tracking Page:

1. You can now see your votes. If you have already voted for a feature, the vote you selected shows in bold.

2. You can change your vote. If you voted "Yes" (which nows shows bold without a link), you can still click the "No" option to change your vote.

3. After voting, your browser jumps to the feature you voted on.

I know that an AJAX voting system would work a lot better, so I'll look into that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

There's some bug in the ordering code.. i order by number of yes votes, and i see:

Speed Graph should use Global up and/or down speed (whichever is higher)...

167 Yes 33 No

Plug-in architecture

230 Yes 98 No

Give upload priority to certain peers

160 Yes 29 No

also, how about limiting the description text to X characters (160) ? and rendering it in 2 lines of 80 characters wide, courier font.. it would brinf a bit more regularity to the page if the extra info were a uniform size, and people would have to think carefully before writing an essay :)

heres another idea instead of ajax (though that would be nice)

make it a standard form, with radio buttons.. or make a radiobutton version.. so i can jsut go doewn the whole list yes, no, no, no, yes, yes.. and then submit all my votes with a submit button

haha, should i put my feature request for the lsit on the feature request list?

NiteShdw, I see votes can be made with GET request, but image getting is also a GET request, so if i put [ img ]http://www.niteshdw.com/utorrent/index.php?a=vote&vote=yes&id=265&blabla=.jpg[/ img ] on this forum, each visitor will vote for this..

You can fix that with checking the referer pages, referer url can be getted with $_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER']

Great page NiteShdw. Are you still making changes?

It would be great if there were a '% Yes' (# of Yes's/# of No's) column between the 'No' and 'Added' columns. This way we could sort by the column and see which requests are the most/least popular on a relative basis.

It would also be nice to have a checkbox to "Hide Implemented/Not likely to be implemented requests."

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey,

Well, I noticed that sorting by "Yes" and "No" does not work to well. The order is all wrong. Why no reverse sorting?

Also, I can not add my request:

There was an error submitting your feature request

Please fix your submission and try again.

Oddly it even changed my request a bit. If you have something in double or single quotes in the Description field such as, "Download Bar", it gets changed to: \"Download Bar\" .

Looks as if you're trying to stop hackers. ;)

Well, even without any quotes I am still unable to post my feature request.

My feature request is simply:

Summary: Remember Download Bar Location

Forum topic URL:

Description: That would be nice if the window location of the Download Bar was remembered. I am talking about the Advanced Show Download Bar option for a torrent. I find it annoying that it always forgets where I place it on the desktop.

Update:

Oh I see, you have to have a forum topic URL. lol

Then you should say something along the lines of, all fields are required. And please give better error messages.

Take Care,

Will

PS:

Might want to change this line from:

All submissions are moderated, and will only be added if the feature has not been requested previously, is poorly described, contradicts expected client behavior, or any other reasons. Moderators approve requests as often as possible, but they do sleep sometimes as well.

To perhaps something like:

All uTorrent Feature Requests are up to the discretion of the Moderators. A submission that has been requested previous, is poorly described, or contradicts expected uTorrent client behavior will not be excepted. The Moderators approve uTorrent Feature Requests as often as possible, but they do sleep sometimes. Please be patient if your request is not displayed instantly.

Explanation:

Looking at what is being said on the site at the moment, it states that submissions are moderated and will only be added if the feature request has not been requested previously, is poorly described, and contradicts expected client behavior.

The "or any other reasons" does not belong there. Basically you have a run on sentence and comma splices.

You would read that as such: "All submissions are moderated or any other reasons." Does not make sense now does it?

Just a thought...

• 2 months later...

Archived