Speeding by Stopping

Jack Black

I like old movies and documentaries which almost always have load seed and peer counts.

I normally put up 10-15 torrents like this, along with 3 or 4 hot torrents, in the hope that the old torrents will complete before the last seed is gone. These torrents are usually shown as "downloading" (which of course they are usually ...are not) or "queued". Frankly I don't know the difference.

My question is.........is this a winning system. Does the number of torrents that I am attempting to download in anyway effect my overall speed? Please keep in mind that my ISP is one of the world's worst throttlers.

Thanks for your reply. I don't seem to have much control over the actual amount of uploading going on. I keep 30 to 35 items available for seeding and I have set my upload limit to 80% of max. ( which for me is 35 kB). On your suggestion I have just dropped my upload # to 3 and allowing additional if over 90%.

I have a max download line of 150kB and I'm lucky if I actually get 10% of that from this throttler.

My other numbers are

Global max 600

Max # peers / torrent 100

# upload slots 3

Max # active torrents 12

Max # of active downloads 10

I use forced Encryption.

Can you suggest any changes on the above?

Thanks again for your help.

Try these settings instead:

upload speed 35 KiloBYTES/sec

Global max 160

Max # peers / torrent 50

# upload slots 3

Max # active torrents 4

Max # of active downloads 3

Make sure to have these options set to TRUE in advanced settings:

queue.dont_count_slow_dl

queue.dont_count_slow_ul

(This will start additional torrents for seeding and downloading any time the current ones quit uploading AND downloading faster than 1 KiloBYTE/sec.)

If you are firewalled, you may want a higher half open rate than the default of 8. But you better make sure your version of Windows is patched to HANDLE higher half open rates AND your networking hardware and software can stand it too!

If you're NOT firewalled, you should already be hammered by other peers and seeds trying to connect to you anyway...so raising your half open rate (beyond the default of 8) just increases bandwidth losses.

Considering you can only download at 150 KiloBYTES/sec, you really don't NEED lots of connections...even my suggestion is on the high side. I've gotten >500 KiloBYTES/sec download speeds with fewer than 50 connections total.

Archived