BitTorrent Etiquette when it comes to seeding

PlayWithFire

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I try to seed until theres no more peers left, or I cant connect to the ones left, or if it has enuff seeders where me being in the swarm wouldnt matter anymore. (all of this is after I've seeded to at least a 1.5.) If im on an uploading binge, I will seed it til it has enuff seeders it to keep alive, then up another torrent.

But overall, constantly checking to see if any torrents I have need extra seeders. Then i jump in where needed and start over with what I mentioned above.

I do use private trackers. And of course I have a ratio of 1.00+ on all of them. I don't like the idea of dutting off other peers' downloads, but if noone wants to download the torrent, what's the point in seeding?

Well I guess that's true but just to be polite I leavethe torrents up for a few days but that's just IMO.

will *AT LEAST* seed 100% back, usually much more.

I dont really keep attention - i just turn on my PC in a power-saving mode (A64 throttled down to 948mhz) and let it seed as long as i am out of the house/at work etc, about 11hrs/day.

When i come home and i see my torrents U/D ratio like 200% or something then i just remove the torrents and i know i gave back.

I am proud of my seeding even if my u/l is crappy... (384kB).

If i expect many seeders and quality and speed from a site then *the least* i can do is participate and be part of it and do my share for others.

You must not use private trackers... :|

Actually, I think you'll find that you would have to be on a private tracker to get 0.000 ratio...

On all public torrents I've used, I have a ratio of at least 0.05 on everything I download (typically around 0.75, that's the minimum I've seen) before the download even finishes. With the insanely high SLR on some private trackers, you often have 0.000 when you finish the download and have to seed for weeks to get 1.0.

I think its cheap to just upload 100%, atleast upload to 200%, that is what I do.

For private trackers, I upload to 200% if its a very slow torrent,

if its a fast torrent, I let it run as long as it can until the speed is like 10kb/s,

which often ends with a ratio of 20x-40x :).

boo: Why is it cheap to just seed to 100%? I'm not saying that you shouldn't go over on a public tracker - just that when you do anything over 100% (and usually people say they seed to 100% when it's more like 10% - 110% before they notice it's over) you're actually giving back to the swarm.

well, i try to seed as many things as possible now

but, sometimes, when i get music, i have to rename the files, cause the release teams tag on their URL to every file (i hate that)

with individual AVIs, it's simple, i just use the relocate feature, and seed it indefenetly

Another thing, somtimes when i get a whole DVD, i don't the ISO, i just use AutoGK to rip it to an AVI file, and store that on my PC

And since i don't really feel like keeping a 5GB file on my PC for just seeding, i'll delete it as soon as i hit 150%

It really depends on your upload speed. You tend to not go over 1.0\2.0 if you have a slow upload speeds as you probably dont want to delay other torrents while a certain one seeds for weeks.

Thats my problem. I'm on a 256/128 line so it takes me a day or two to jsut download a 350MB episode of something, I don't really want to have to wait another couple of days to get my ratio up to 1 when people with faster connections can do it in a couple of minutes/hours whatever. I usually get to around 0.6 while downloading and I tend to leave it at that. Also I'm on a shared internet connection with my family so I can't leave my downloads/uploads going all the time - only at night.

I never care about my ratio when it comes to seeding...

If I get a torrent, when it is done and seeding, I look at the availability... if it is at least 5 or higher, then I'll stop the torrent... tho keep it handy for a while just in case... that torrent is seeded plenty...

If it is below 5, and especially if it is only at 2-3, I'll keep seeding, depending on how busy the swarm is, and how hard it was for me to reach 100%... some seeders on a torrent only poke their heads up occasionally... those I prioritize when seeding... they need a seeder...

My ratio, doesn't matter to me much... keeping a torrent seeded matters more.

-- Smoovious

Archived