Recovering resume.dat when computer crash automatically

Chrono79

A few days ago there was a blackout while I wasn't around and when I turned on the pc again, scandisk said it couldn't recover resume.dat. Then I started µTorrent and I see that the list of all the torrents I had was gone. I tried to replace the newly created resume.dat with the resume.dat.old but as the file was in use, I couldn't. I closed µTorrent and doing this the resume.dat.old was overwritten with the new (and empty) resume.dat. So I was thinking, maybe you could set it like this:

At µTorrent startup

If resume.dat doesn't exist (because it got corrupted)

then replace it with resume.dat.old (last working version)

Thanks.

µTorrent *already* attempts to restore an old resume.dat if it detects that the current one is corrupt -- that's exactly what it's there for in the first place. If it doesn't detect it, then there's nothing µTorrent can do about it. The best you can do is try 1.7 (if you aren't already using it), as it has improved crash handling for resume.dat.

• 2 months later...

I have an admitedly flaky W2K system that I run uTorrent on 27x7x365; it will crash without much provocation.

Since I've upgraded to 1.7.2 (from 1.6.?), system crashes *frequently* result in loss of resume.dat, and uTorrent won't recover from the .old either - thus I loose all the loaded torrent info. I don't recall this ever happening with the 1.6.? version I was using before.

During reboot after a crash, the messages from the automatic chkdsk lead me to believe that uTorrent must have created a new resume.dat during the previous boot but never closed/flushed it. I typically end up with a lost chain from the chkdsk which appears to contain the bulk of the resume.dat data.

The best you can do is try 1.7 (if you aren't already using it), as it has improved crash handling for resume.dat.

This statement seems to imply that there was some change in this area for 1.7.x

I would like to let y'all know that it ain't working...

• 2 months later...

Please correct this noob if he's wrong, but I don't think all is lost if the Resume file is corrupted or otherwise lost - can't one simply find the individual Torrent files where they are locally saved, and drop them back into utorrent?

From my experience, some time is lost while the files are Checked to see what portions/percentage currently resides on your HD, but then picks up downloading again where it had left off, so to speak. I'm assuming there's something more to the story - is it a happy ending as I perceive, or is there some other tragedy of which I'm unaware?

Archived