Only Getting 30KB/s Down Total -- Connection is 949KB/s Down

Ayepecks

Right now I'm only getting about 30KB/s down on µTorrent. According to the DSL Reports speedtest (the one provided with µTorrent, obviously), my download speed is capable of 949KB/s... so I should be getting more, correct?

I'm running Windows Vista, and my router is a Linksys WRT54GS version 6.0 (serial prefix of CGN9), so it's not one of the routers listed in the stickied post (http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=3456). I've tried the Vista patch for enabling more than 10 open ports, and I've done the port forwarding for the router, but it's still not getting any faster.

I've toggled the Windows firewall on and off and it doesn't really do anything to affect µTorrent's speed. I've disabled my antivirus, too, so I know that's not the problem. Does anyone have any ideas what I can do to fix it? Sorry if I'm being vague, I'm not sure what all you guys would need to know to help me here.

Does µTorrent have the green light at bottom to say it's not firewalled?

If not, you may need more drastic measures to unfirewall it -- such as checking on whether your modem also contains a firewall and/or mini-router that needs to be configured or disabled.

Yes, it does.

Now the speed's better (after messing around with as many settings as I could think of and looking at the other topics in this section), but it fluctuates greatly. One minute it'll be getting 70KB/s, then it drops back down to 30KB/s for 5 minutes.

Wireless internet connections tend to be far more limited than equal-speed wired equivalents.

This means you probably cannot use DHT or as many ip-to-ip connections as an equivalent-speed wired connection...or speeds (if not outright connectivity!) will suffer.

Archived