Possible Solution for Speed Issues when Using McAfee with uTorrent

iga04

Hi Gang,

This may have been discussed before but I couldn't find it using Search.

I'm using the latest version of McAfee Security Centre.

Firstly I did the usual setting of static IP and opened the port on the router. Then despite giving full McAfee firewall permission to uTorrent the Port Open test would fail. Hence the speeds were terribly slow. However I simply moved uTorrent to another directory. In McAfee uTorrent is now greyed out stating that the program no longer exists. Then when you run uTorrent from its new directory, McAfee simply seems to ignore it (ie the permission's window doesn't pop-up). And the port open test is successful and speed great.

My only concern is that I get messages in McAfee (under Recent events, Internet - inbound events) stating something like "A computer at such and such address has attempted an unsolicited connection to TCP port 99999 on your computer" (ie the port mapped to uTorrent). I'm not fully certain but I think this might be when uTorrent isn't running and so perhaps any connections to that port go to McAfee and are blocked. I really don't understand what is going on here but hope this doesn't pose a security risk.

Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks - Gordon

Archived