download vs upload ratios

boanerges

now i`am concerned & confused, i did some testing since your last post to me and i find that no matter what max ul i choose from 10kB/s to 55kB/s it always ul`s at 1 to 3kB/s over that setting per second not minute! and not untill i set it to 60kB/s will it dip below it`s setting, and when i open it up to 75kB/s it can vary between the high 40`s to low 70`s jumping up to 10kB/s per second. am i going to fly off the "ragged edge of disaster", how should i proceed so i don`t! your wisdom is much needed!! please r.s.v.p. many mahalos & viva la seeders.

i have a global max connections of 600. the max # of connected peers per torrent is 100. and 6 ul slots per torrent. some thing tells me this is way to many, compared to your 20!! what number values should i put in at the options/preferances/bittorrent location, and what about the " use additional ul slots if ul speed <90%" option.?. or am i totally off base here and barking up the wrong tree?? :( please help me screw my head on straight so i can get back to the good stuff!! many mahalos & viva la seeders p.s. additional bittorrent features asks "ip/hostname to report to tracker". what do i enter?

ok then i will try to use 100 global, 50 max per torrent and 1 ul slot per torrent with the 90% option engaged. i to have an 8mb/512kb connection. i`ll let you know what happens after i punch in the new #`s. mahalos many & viva la seeders. p.s.s what about my last p.s. posted?

but you said "that`s insane" and "150 is to much" if this is so should`nt i change something. switeck says that i`am on the ragged edge of disaster :o i would`nt want that. so what`s a newbie to do? go back to what you call "insane" and switeck calls "ragged edge of disaster" and hope for the best? or try to get more "sane" and back away from the "ragged edge of disaster". the latter i hope. i`am pray`in for a solution :D many mahalos & viva la seeders :cool:

If you have marginal networking hardware or software, even the occasional upload overload can cause glitches or improperly closed connections. Over time, especially after hours or even days without a reboot, the networking stuff can slow down or lock up. My marginal old Linksys wired 4-port router can't handle more than 4-8 hours of 100+ connections at once...and by then it cripples the internet connection. High half open connection rates (20+) kill it even quicker, sometimes measured in minutes.

Better 30 good connections than 600 bad ones. Although if you have 600 connections at once, everything will seem bad because your end will become unstable. Most 'consumer' networking hardware and software assumes only about 200 connections PEAK and typical operating levels of 20 or fewer connections at once. This is why DHT, UPnP, and resolve ip features in µTorrent just KILLS so many connections. :(

according to you i should have crashed & burned a long time ago! but i have`nt turned off utorrent for at least three days and i`am dl-ing two different files at over 200kB/s apiece and each has between 90-100 connections and that does`nt include the three seeds that are ul-ing, also rarely do i get high dl speed with less than 50 connections. my highest dl`s 500kB/s+ come with between 75-100 connections. although i don`t think i ever max-ed out my # of connections because i never have more than 5 files active at once. so now i`am really confused :( please help!! many mahalos & viva la seeders :cool:

Have you run TCP Optimizer?

It sets stuff like MTU and Receive Window in network settings normally not accessible. (buried deep in the system registry)

My best download speed EVER came from a single extremely fast ip, though I had about 30 other ips connected to me at the same time. Had I dropped most of the other ips, I'd probably been a little faster rather than slower. My connection was maxed out the whole time, but download (and upload) speeds dropped a little from time to time due to overloads. 700+ KiloBYTES/sec down is a bit much even for a very good line. :P

Check the peers window from time to time.

Does it seem like you're uploading or downloading very little to/from most of them?

(There should be a column next to each showing amount uploaded and downloaded as well as current upload and download speed to/from each peer/seed.)

Do they seem to disconnect often?

Are there long periods of inactivity (another column to check) for each peer or seed?

Any one of these things can be a sign of an overloaded connection or hostile ISP (to file-sharing), though it could be the seeds+peers that are overloaded instead of you. (...or as well as you!)

yes that is true that only a single or couple of peers give you dl in the hundred`s and the rest give less than 5kB/s. but i never had one at 700+kB/s. 586kB/s is my tops and that was only for a few seconds, my top avg. dl speed was 435kB/s. and yes i do have some of the symtoms you described, :( as a matter of fact now that i look closely, i suffer from all three symtoms you describe :o such as very little ul/dl per peer but i thought this was because there was so many connections. and some seem to disconnect and reconnect alot and some have long periods of inactivity. how should fix all this switeck? much mahalos & viva la seeders :cool:

i don`t know how to access the system registry :( i`am just a newbie, but a quick learner, if you care to give a quick tutorial on how to do it, i`am willing to give it a try, and won`t hold you responsible if i screw something up. cause my friend tells me that you have to be very careful when you are in the system registry or you can really screw things up! i`m willing if you are. :D much mahalos & viva la seeders :cool:

Archived