Internet Crashes every hour or so

seek_&_destroy

This has been happening alot for the last year.. I finally realized it was because of utorrent. I read the faq, I saw the "Kerio Personal Firewall / Sunbelt Personal Firewall uses 100% CPU when running µTorrent and/or disconnects my internet every few minutes!"

topic in the faq .. but i don't understand AT ALL.

how do i know if i have one of these firewalls?

need to know: Linksys WRT300N, port forwarded correctly

EDIT I just figured out I do not have any of these firewalls. I read all the faq topics, and nothing else mentions internet crashing every few minutes. What else could be the problem?

Thanks in advance for the help. I started having kind of the same problem as from 1 week ago. My Internet connection freezes and I cannot Upload uninterruptedly, or even browse the web. I would do all as per above link suggestions but:

1) If I stop all trafic from µTorrent and "repair" my connection from my "Local Area Connection" icon at my taskbar, it comes back and I can start uploading or browsing again. So I assume my DHCP is not renewing the "lease" automatically. I have never had this problem before. I have a 2MB cable and my ISP's support told me that there is no blocking on my IP, suggesting that it is the network card. Weirdly enough, my download speed is very good, bet 150-250 KBps. Only when I am seeding-only I have this problem, which led me to think about some ISP blocking, somehow.

2) I am using µTorrent for some 6 months now with way over 70GB each way, d/l and u/l. Problem is that now, somehow, some buttons on µTorrent are not working: The Speed Test button, The Port forward test button, the Help (f1) in program menu and the µTorrent website link in program menu stopped working. They do nothing when I click on them.

3) Before I unistall/reinstall and/or test another Network Card, I thought of asking here if there's some known issue or if is there a way to identify and fix this issue. Also before I follow the "SLOW/INTERRUPTED INTERNET CONNECTION OR OFFLINE TRACKERS", like disabling DHT or IP resolving or changing max global nbr of connections, because my upload speed, when it is working, is very normal, between 30-40 KBPS (33 being max according to my ISP but it gets higher sometimes). Also because what is really bugging me is the buttons not working. They used to. I have ran the speed test and the port forward test many times, I have read the web FAQ from menu help and I have accessed µTorrent website from there too. Why the heck they are not working at all? (I use Firefox and I had it before I start using UT)

4) My system is a PC P42.8, 1GB RAM, 2x 160GB hd's running WinXP SP2 Corporative with Longhorn Pack (cosmetics really) with all updates from Windiz Updates. I use ZoneAlarm PRO (which never had an issue with UT) and none of the anti-virus or adwares I use are allowed to run in background. They run when I execute them only then I close then.

5) I think I run a very clean and light system. Only 18 running process. Sysinternals only counted 5 active. HijackThis counted 15. I'm posting the latter.

Process list saved on 03:03:51, on 22/6/2007

Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

[pid] [full path to filename] [file version] [company name]

524 C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe 5.1.2600.2180 Microsoft Corporation

604 C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe 5.1.2600.2180 Microsoft Corporation

648 C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe 5.1.2600.2180 Microsoft Corporation

660 C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe 5.1.2600.2180 Microsoft Corporation

812 C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe 5.1.2600.2180 Microsoft Corporation

960 C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe 5.1.2600.2180 Microsoft Corporation

1140 C:\Program Files\NetLimiter 2 Monitor\nlsvc.exe 1.0.13.1 Locktime Software

1168 C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe 4.0.123.12 Zone Labs Inc.

1568 C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE 6.0.2900.2180 Microsoft Corporation

1652 C:\Program Files\NetLimiter 2 Monitor\NLClient.exe 1.0.13.1 Locktime Software

1880 C:\Program Files\Creative\SB Live! 24-bit\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe 1.4.1.0 Creative Technology Ltd

1888 C:\Program Files\DAEMON Tools\daemon.exe 4.9.0.0 DT Soft Ltd.

1948 C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zapro.exe 4.0.123.12 Zone Labs Inc.

1256 C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe 1.8.20070.-14034 Mozilla Corporation

1896 C:\Temp Tools\Z_HijackThix\HijackThis.exe 1.99.0.1 Soeperman Enterprises Ltd.

If you are sure about ZoneLabs not being the problem (I'd advise uninstalling it for a while just to be sure) it could be a problem with NetLimiter 2 Monitor. Try uninstalling that.

And no disabling often won't help in cases such as Anti-Virus, Firewall and Bandwidth Limiters because even if they are disabled theyr system wide hooks are still in place and might still be the cause of the problem.

The buttons should open up Firefox windows. Could be windows for some reason doesn't/can't handle them. Try setting Fx2 as default browser again (possibly by switching it to IE first).

About the buttons, right on the spot! After setting IE as default, it started working again on IE. Then again on Firefox after setting that as default browser... many thanks again, Lord Alderaan!

Netlimiter Monitor freeware cannot limit bandwith. Just monitor traffic and keep statistics. Useful for me to control my "consumption" as my ISP contract says 20GB/month. Past that I could have my d/l speed reduced to 256Kbps i/o 2MB until the month ends. I always pass that and never had it reduced though.

And UT is working fine right now, 'cause I paused all seeding and just kept the current download active. 5 hours and connection still up. This, plus all my dl-ul history before this crashes started allow me to assume that ZA is correctly configured for UT. Now I could test Port Forward again and it is ok. Traffic icon on UT is green too.

Even when I'm seeding only the icon gets green, until connection freezes. What I don't get is why when I pause all net traffic and click "repair" on local area connection status/support tab, it goes back up, like DHCP had not been able to auto acquire, but right now DHCP has acquired it correctly a few times for the past 4.5 hrs while I was in bed. So I assume it is not a problem DHCP.

Which leads me to think only in 2 possibilities. Either it is some problem with my netword card (unlikely seeing how it works fine when downloading only or after a repair/refresh when it freezes, but still could be) or it is some issue with my ISP, on purpose or not. If something else comes to mind, please let me know.

After I finish downloading I'll try uninstalling Netlimiter Monitor, switching netword cards with my second PC, anything to try and identify and possibly fix these crashes, and test seeding again. It's hard to keep my usual ratio up to par when I cannot leave it seeding overnight and I am no leecher, heh.

EDIT/ADD: I can't take it anymore. It gets a whole lot worse during the day, even when only downloading. So I called the ISP and they'll send a tech guy tomorrow. I'm getting frozen connection every 10 minutes and it comes back when I "repair" it but still, I can't leave home or no dl/ul will ever finish. Hopefully, tomorrow I'll know why.

EDIT/ADD 2: The tech guy managed to come today. When the problem was reproduced we ran some tests. Aparently the problem is in the Cable Modem, since when my connection freezes, my net card still can ping both its local IP and the Modem IP as well. It will be replaced on this sunday and then I'll know for sure if the problem is gone. Thanks for the help and patience. I do talk a lot! =)

Archived