DHT: x peers / U: y kbps (Uploading already???)

condorito

Hello, I just joined.

I downloaded utorrent 1.2.328. I thought at first it would be an installer, I am gladly surprised it's just an stand alone .exe.

Now, as soon as I ran utorrent, the DHT thingy on the status bar showed 100+ peers loggin in, and the upload counter indicated a small amount of data already being uploaded, so I blocked utorrent using my firewall, until I understand what's going on.

So, how come even though I had not yet clicked on a .torrent link, I was still uploading? Uploading what? Is it maybe that every utorrent.exe acts as a default client/server/node/whatever? So, by running utorrent I am helping others download stuff I did not request, because utorrent acts as a node too?

If utorrent also acts as a node, and downloads are flowing through my computer, when utorrent is running, are all connections encrypted, is all data flowing up and down encrypted?

Thanks.

DHT is a method of tracking torrents without a central tracker. Thus, if a tracker goes offline, peers can still learn about and connect to each other. If you use DHT you are connected to this network. There is a very small bandwidth overhead while using DHT. Both BitComet and Azureus have DHT implementations as well.

To globally disable DHT, open Preferences | Torrent Options and uncheck Enable DHT.

I believe his/her question was: "Is µTorrent downloading from and uploading to other peers even if I don't have a torrent active?" The answer is no. And the reason for those numbers is as ColdArmor said. While Azureus and most other clients only show the total bandwidth used by the active torrents and exclude the bandwidth used by DHT and tracker announces, µTorrent includes those numbers.

Edit: And no, you don't download anything you don't want.

I believe his/her question was: "Is µTorrent downloading from and uploading to other peers even if I don't have a torrent active?" The answer is no.

Yes, that's what I meant.

Animorc, thanks for clarifying that, it makes sense.

Icedog, Lesson 2. Don't assume you're talking to a noob, 'cause you're not.

Lesson 3. If you're not going to help, in regard to the opening post, then you might as well shut up.

:)

Icedog' date=' Lesson 2. Don't assume you're talking to a noob, 'cause you're not.[/quote']

if your not a noob then how come you didnt have the common sense to read the FAQ or lookup what DHT is. ( seems pretty obvious thing todo to me )

I'm lazy, not a noob. I do have the common sense to know FAQs can help, but I am really really lazy, so I rather ask, until the one who knows the answer cares to post it. Don't like it? Oh well! :)

Archived