Error: Unable to save the resume file. Solution???

Torro

Hi,

When uTorrent 1.2 is running, I keep getting the following message:

"Unable to save the resume file."

I have local admin rights on my pc but te error does not go away.

Also deleting uTorrent and the files in my user profile do not work.

Any suggestions?

Please react to the forum instead of mailing me, so others can benefit.

TIA!!!

• 3 weeks later...

i have exactly the same problem.... utorrent has full access and write rights in the application data directory and still it gives the unable to save the resume file error... I have deleted the file several times, i deleted utorrent and erased every registry entry, after that i downloaded utorrent again and still the problem remains... any suggestions???

Robin

if you use win xp, µTorrent 1.2.3-beta has fixed it =

- Fix: Use atomic movefile when saving resume file on XP

1.2.3 does not fix the problem. THe message remains. version 1.3 neither. the problem is very irritating... I have no choice but to start using other software to download torrents again, its a shame... :(

• 10 months later...

I've read all the threads regarding this resume.dat issue on these boards, along with tried all the 'solutions'. One of the solutions was to give write permissions to that folder or file.....can't be done with XP Home Edition, that's a XP Pro feature, not really a solution. One thing I did notice, that for sure would be causing this problem, is the utorrent folder - x:\program files\utorrent - is a read only folder, and this cannot be changed, sure you can uncheck the read only attribute, but it returns immediately. I've deleted all the old resume.dat.old/new and settings.dat.old/new files, 6 in all, initially I moved them all to the x:\program files\utorrent from the local users application data folder, then deleted and recreated the files, no avail, I'm still getting this annoying error. btw I am using utorrent 1.6. Any ideas......??

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same problem, and deleting and creating new resume.dat.old files and settings.dat.old seemed to work fine for me.

The files are saved in, persay, c:\Documents and Settings\Your Name\Application Data\Resume.dat.old

*You'll hafta set the folder options to view hidden folders

delete resume.dat.old and delete settings.dat.old open notepad File>Save As and type in resume.dat.old then File>Save As and type in setting.dat.old

*It wont say "resume.dat.old". It will just say "resume.dat".

It worked fine for me. If it doesn't work for you try something else.

• 4 months later...

I'm getting the same error, and when I go to try and delete resume.dat.old (or settings.dat.old) it tells me "Cannot delete resume.dat: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."

Any ideas? Please don't tell me I'm stuck with these stupid unmovable/undeletable files until I reformat my computer next? I just want to be able to download error free, is that too much to ask? lol

• 7 months later...

Alright, I'm getting the same "Unable to save the resume file" error :/ I did as I was supposed to and created blank resume.dat and settings.dat files, but it still doesn't work. Even more, I've deleted all files from the AppData folder and then created the blank resume.dat and settings.dat in the folder, containing utorrent.exe, but I still have problems. I'm using uTorrent version 1.6.1. and have been for some time now, but the error started occuring only a couple of days ago. However, now it pops up a couple of hours after I start the program and then there's nothing I can do to stop it. Only the reboot works, but when I do that, like I said, it's cool for a couple of hours, but then it starts popping up again. Any solutions? Damn, I don't wanna switch to another program, but I'll have to, if I don't resolve this issue :( So, please, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well, I'm used to it and since there's controversy about the new versions (and thus different policies on different trackers regarding allowed versions), I'm kind of more comfortable using the 1.6.1 version. I don't want to open a debate, whether the stuff about the newer versions is true or not, since I think that's beside the point. Anyway, I will switch to the 1.7.5 version, if the error isn't going to occur there, but I would still like to keep the older version, if it's possible. So if you can offer me any advice on this problem, please do so, otherwise I guess I'll have to switch to the newer version and then ask for help if the problem still persists.

Hi,

I have same problem. You may create resume.dat file in folder where is utorrent.exe and after problem happened you may delete resume.dat and torrent will create new one so you can save your progress from downloading. But problem is still be present so you must restart windows.

Are you out of disk space... That's what my problem was when my resume.dat got over-written by all 0's.

Are you seeing this error in the logging tab? TBH I run my µT self-contained in a separate directory (no %APPDATA% no %Program Files%) because I use it on a thuimbdrive, but I would think that it wouldn't just "start" happening. Did you recently update to SP2? or SP3beta for that matter, heh.

It seems Bit Defender was causing the problem, as it's all working like it should now that I've reinstalled it. And I found out later that it wasn't only uTorrent that had problems "remembering" where it left off, Firefox as well renewed sessions and homepages that I've browsed hours ago before the shutdown. So I guess the problem is gone for now and both the 1.6.1 and 1.7.5 versions work - *knocks on wood* - but I'll be back if it happens again :D

Archived