Faster Download Speeds with Super-Seeding

Dude_McCool

When I am downloading a file and there are a lot of peers (100+) and I turn on super-seeding, my dl speed goes much faster. Also, my ul speed drops to nearly zero. This doesnt always happen but it has several times. Is there an explanation for this? What exactly does super-seeding do? I mostly use a private tracker if that helps.

Don't use super-seeding unless you know what you're doing, and unless you are seeding a torrent with 0 seeds (either a torrent you created, or a torrent that other seeds have forsaken)...

You should search for super-seeding in the forums. Previous threads already explain what it is and how it works...

Hmm, you can superseed while still downloading? Anyway, the higher download speed may have to do with how superseeding works. AFAIK, when superseeding, to the rest of the swarm it looks like you only have one piece of the file. Maybe you get more speed because you look like a new peer, so other peers' BT clients automatically assign you a higher priority.

This is just a guess, btw, I don't actually know.

Wikipedia on super-seeding.

I think Wolfie has it right..

You should try limiting your upload speed to about 80% of your max speed using Settings > Network Options > Global max upload rate. This should increase your download speed. :) A quick explanation from the BT faq:

If you are seeing very high upload rates and low download rates, this is probably the case. The reason this happens is due to the nature of TCP/IP -- every packet received must be acknowledged with a small outbound packet. If the outbound link is saturated with BitTorrent data, the latency of these TCP/IP ACKs will rise, causing poor efficiency.

Archived