Allow custom creation of groups in download window

JohnnyFive

utorrentrequest3gn.th.png

If something like that was implemented, also allow us to right click a group and do actions on that entire group such as seed, download, pause, stop, etc.

Also, it would be nice if there was an option to seed an incomplete file without downloading it. I'm not sure if either of these have been talked about, but I searched and couldn't find it. So here it is!

What content??? :P

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well there is the labels option which does pretty much the same thing. although allowing groups like in ur example would be nice. PROVIDING that i never see a side bar thing like in bitspirit,bitcomet with a bunch of folders for stuff cause that just plain p*sses me off, it looks so cheap and nasty.

I have been using labels loosely, but it still doesn't do what i'd like. Being able to hide entire groups of torrents under a +/- sign on the download list would clean things up nicely, and the ability to stop/start/seed a group by right clicking on it would also be nice. The main reason I want this is to clean up the download window, normally it is very cluttered, and even with labels (which I feel are slow and clumsy), I feel it is inefficient.

I'd have to strongly disagree. I hate the category based UI designs. I believe the much simpler, cleaner UI is a lot more useable and efficient. You already have sorting by tracker and labels, which do almost the same IMO.

Maybe an option to select all torrents by their label is proper, as counter-measure ;]

Not a bad idea to have another option to sort your torrents. I wouldn't have much use for it as the tracker and label column suffice to my needs. A category based UI isn't bad if it's optional, it has to be optional. People who wouldn't use it need an option to disable it. Otherwise it would just clutter their screen. In fact, it should be disabled by default, just like any other optional feauture. I don't know if that's possible. If not, that's too bad, but no category based UI. I'm in favour of the request, but only if it's optional.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont take the "why do you care if its optional, just dont use it" argument. The code is still there, Isnt it? And if has to keep some sort of information about the categories and which torrents relate to each group, Options regarding this.. etc, Cluttering the UI even more.

In my honest opinion (No DrS, i dont want to read your reply, really) its really not needed.

@ chaosblade, I'd almost think you hold a grudge against me, hehehe. (FYI: a, b, c) What makes you think I give a sh*t about my comments causing you discomfort?

It's not bloat if it wouldn't use any resources when disbaled and only minimal resources when enabled.

It's only feature creep if it delays the development of features with higher priority much.

Gee, guess i did read your reply. No, i dont hold a grudge against anyone (unless you murdered\raped anyone lately? :P) and definitly not against a person i dont even know.

I just seem to notice some people have started to dislike me strongly since i disagreed with a certain portion of their suggestions ;]

I definitely second this.

I like the collapsible idea, but in the end I really don't care how it is done .... just so long as there is a way to view only certain groups .... I have a lot of torrents open at once (and like it that way), but it just gets too cluttered .

Please do this, or something similar.

I just seem to notice some people have started to dislike me strongly since i disagreed with a certain portion of their suggestions ;]

I don't like the shooting down of feature requests for the simple reason you have no need for it. This isn't some leet OS that you build yourself using only the bare essentials. ludde wrote this client to be used by many people, (otherwise this forum wouldn't be here,) with preferences other than yours, so it's unavoidable µTorrent will have features you will never use.

I dont take the "why do you care if its optional, just dont use it" argument. The code is still there, Isnt it?

Obviously the code would still be there if you have it disabled. What's your point? You harddrive can't cope with the .exe being a few bytes bigger? Some people here seem to be in love with the idea of having a client that only has features they would use. It simply doesn't work like that.

Is this feature essential? No, just like many other already implemented features it's not.

Is this feature trivial? For some people it is, for others it would much improve µTorrent's usability.

Is this bloat? No, when disabled (should be the default) it won't use any resources.

Is this feature creep? Not likely, only if ludde has to spend a lot of time and energy to get it implemented.

Should this feature be implemented? Why not, it wouldn't hurt anyone.

DrS: You like to copy that response over and over again, dont you.

Add one feature that isnt exactly needed. add two more. a hundered? please.

your "OMGOSH STOP SAYING BLOAT" technqiue isnt really saying anything for the feature you want in. Why should they be in? cause YOU need them? I express my opinion on features because i believe most people (as ive known a few that use bittorrrent) dont need them.

I have enough examples. Besides, RSS is being added, isnt it? i consider that useless, and it already added over 10kB to the total exe size. It still got in, however. So if you're worried what i say or think has anything to do with ludde's decision, dont. I couldnt care less about your feelings however :]

...This is a feature request thread. Let's keep the arguments AT each other to a minimum and focus more on aguments ABOUT the request :)

Yeah, I'm not Firon/a mod, but I can feel the tension rising and there really isn't any need for it...

I like the idea of this feature. I find categorization to be extremely useful in programs, and being able to hide/show certian torrents based on it (or on status, e.g. seeding/queued/etc) would be awesome. I can't say if it's worth the added code (as that is ludde's call), but I will say that I am in favor of this being added.

JigPu

Archived