Improvement of read and write cache

killingfrost

I like this feature but i would like to see some improvements:

- when caching received data,every 20 sec completed blocks are written to hard drive. Could we have a way to set a limit in size before doing that? example: download 710M of data before writing the completed pieces. (if a torrent is complete write all blocks to the hard drive of course)

- read and write caches are too strictly separated: When i get a complete piece of my file, it gets written on the drive and erased from the cache then someone eventually request it and it has to be reloaded from the drive to the cache. It could be faster if completed pieces were copied from the write cache to the read cache or if both cache are made into one, i dont see why pieces of incomplete blocks cannot be made available to upload.

Keep in mind that both points concern either small torrents either large torrents and users with plenty of ram. If you have only 256M of RAM I doubt you need it , it should be helpful for ppl with at least 1G of RAM

Incomplete pieces are not shared to prevent accidental sharing of corrupted data. Only complete pieces can be verified against a hash to make sure they're not corrupted.

On a torrent that already has poisoners, someone sharing incomplete pieces would almost instantly become another poisoner...as they certainly would be getting some bad data from other poisoners.

A problem I have sometimes have with torrents containing very large files is that, while uTorrent is allocating the space, some of my torrents will halt with an "Error" due to being unable to access the drive.

The delay before the error kicks in should be greatly increased (to give pokey hardware or I/O connections more time), or consist of a flag I could turn off or adjust in advanced settings -- I'd rather a torrent was "paused" for a significant length of time than halted on an error five minutes after I hit the sack or step out the door.

@switeck ok i get it about incomplete pieces but the complete ones could still be copied to the read cache

@honeyfrog i don't quite see how your problem is related to my topic, this caching not allocation, you should open your own feature request topic or post in the troubleshooting section

• 3 weeks later...

people using remote filesystems could be also interested in this. I tested the openoffice torrent with a nfs share mounted on windowsXP and it worked like a charm, maxing my bandwidth like it was supposed to (even though the partition is sitting on a encryption device mapper !) and the nfsd had no problem with it but in my opinion nfs is far more robust than smb and multiple disk i/o s over network being what they are (slow), large cache is always a plus to minimize the requests to the disk

if someone could test downloading a torrent directly to a smb share, im curious to see the results.

Archived