Re-distribution of uTorrent

BobAchgill

Can I re-distribute the uTorrent.exe packaged in my installer? If so... what credits do I need to give and where e.g. Read me, license agreement, etc.

I would like to package an installer that will distribute uTorrent.exe to my community who wish to act as seeders for torrents that distribute my free World Literacy program.

The installer will help these volunteer's who wish to help by being dedicated seeders of my Literacy program. The installer will configure the uTorrent.exe along with predefined settings file along with making appropriate directories such that my program can manage and automatically pass torrents to be seeded.

Most of these volunteer are folks who probably would never ever try to use BitTorrent technology but just want to help by utilizing their bandwidth to get the literacy program into the hands of folks in developing countries such that they can learn to read. So the package re-distribution approach is needed to remove them from having to mess with any technology learning curve.

uTorrent looks like a good candidate for doing this.

Thanks!

Bob

That'll be difficult seeing as if everyone's internet connection behaves differently, and would need different settings to function properly. Using a predefined settings file wouldn't be the smartest thing to do.

Practically, it should be easy to do, since µTorrent can read from a local settings.dat stored in its own directory. It'll simply be a matter of extracting the folder to a proper location and running it from there.

I can't say much about license agreements and legal matters like that, but it's safe to say that if you're selling said distribution, you won't be allowed to.

I was thinking I would give volunteers a choice between a couple of packages... one with medium bandwidth performance and one that would be for only taking a minimum of bandwidth. Of course, I would give instructions of how they could modify the speed if they got brave.

The distribution would be free.

So who CAN tell me if this is going to be OK from a legal point of view? And what about ... what to say about giving acknowledgement to uTorrent etc.??

Thanks!

Bob

Archived