Option: Prevent Error/stop due to I/O issues

Honeyfrog

(In re: http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=8063 , and likely others.)

I'd like a setting to prevent torrents from stopping with Error when the application is unable to retreive or save data. Instead, the application will simply keep trying and trying and trying.

Such errors commonly result due to one of the following:

1. A different application (or uTorrent itself, due to allocation) is excessively hogging access to the download drive, or the drive is temporarily inaccessible for some other reason.

2. The user's download drive is full, preventing a file from being allocated.

3. The user's internet (or other network) connection is temporarily down.

Others have previously focused upon individual problem instances; I'd like this feature to basically force torrents to keep running unattended regardless.

+1 for this one.

Maybe it should retry only every 10 minutes (after the internal setting number of times has been tried in fairly rapid succession) to prevent µtorrent from hammering constantly but for the rest it sounds like a good idea since a reasonable number of the causes of the error might sort itself out without user intervention. Right now in those cases the torrent won't restart and does require user intervention.

I want the doohicky in advanced settings where I can screw with it.

If the active state of torrents can be unaffected by my internet connection going down for several minutes while I'm power-cycling my cable box, there's no reason they couldn't also be unaffected by me restarting my network download drive computer, or moving files around to make room on a full drive.

• 1 month later...

Well I don't really suggest to ignore I/O errors but I suggest an option to prevent one of them (disk full error) a bit smarter than a stupid warning at the beginning of a d/l.

How about an option like stop all torrents when free disk space runs below 100 or x MB. You can even think about different quotas for different priorities, but for the first I would be happy enough to have a simple option at all.

For those it's not clear why it is useful I'm going to explain: Generally I save all my data files at the small 30GB internal HD of my laptop. Sometimes I get a warning "not enough disk space" but first I use compressed NTFS (it works really good) and second I move the data file of finished torrents manually to my huge external HD and usually it's a continues process so it's likely to have some torrents get finished soon and get space back ready for the next building up torrent.

Unfortunately the d/l speed is totally unpredictable. Sometime you d/l a very rare file and you have 2kbps and µtorrent tells you something about weeks so you think you can easy start a few other d/ls and of course you set no d/l limit b/c you want that rare torrent done or you don't want to waste time or quota or whatever. But as soon as you leave for the day you get a speed of up to 1Mbps and your disk space is running out quickly. Of course it does not always happen but it hit me several times and then you come home and fight with Windows until you give in and hit the power button which quite often has severely damaged data results.

Why the heck I don't save the data directly to my huge external HD? B/c it is an external HD and therefore the dive letter is changing often. Second I WANT to use it as an external HD, which means I want to plug it in and out occasionally without pausing or stopping the d/ls. Third my USB plug is a little bit flappy.

I hope you guys got the idea and it doesn't blow up the code more than 2kB. ;-)

So long

Andy

I want this feature for all manner of I/O issues.

uTorrent should make every attempt to keep a torrent up unless the user has explicitly halted it. If it can't send and it can't receive due to I/O issues, then it should behave as if Paused as far as other peers are concerned (and seed if able). If the internet or network pukes out for an hour, uTorrent should periodically test and reconnect when able, and carry on.

So? Let me download squadoosh if my drive is full; no reason to prevent me from seeding what I already have. Or, my network server machine (with the download folder) decides to auto-restart for some reason or another in the middle of the night -- let the peers suck thin air for five minutes before everything is hunky-dory again.

Unless there's a nasty coding issue involved in making this, I can't fathom any detrimental effect from me being a "paused" peer on everyone else's list for a temporary while.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived