listen error: you should change the listen port

baerb8

i have been looking for some time to find this topic and simply cannot. so sorry if it is hidden someplace away from my sight.

how do i change listen port, what exactly does this mean?

i have ports designated and am port forwarding. made sure router, firewall and pc will see that port...

what am i doing wrong?

thanks for your help.

ok, it is therefor sufficient to have the port forwarded to one designated by me, the outbound side will be chosen by os. am i understanding you correctly?

i have across the board told router, fw and torrent about the port and seem to still get a listening port error.

i also made sure i am not having that specific port share with other applications

thanks again, excuse my slowness =(

Like I said, the listening error means you need to change the port to something else, as the one you're trying to use for listening for incoming connections is already in use. And yes, the OS should be selecting unused outgoing ports for you, so that shouldn't be a problem. You only need to worry about the port for incoming connections.

ok, before i make anybody mad, let me say what i did, and yet am still getting a listen port error.

i changed ports in router, fw and ut. then i found in the advanced part of ut options> Web UI > connectivity. in the small box is a green check mark and an alternative listening port number entered. i used the same i use for port forwarding. i get the red button.

when i uncheck this option and close and then reopen ut i get a yellow triangle instead....

yes, i have been changing the port numbers a couple of times to ensure no clashing with any other applications...

so sorry for not getting it

i don't use UPnP, and as mentioned in my earlier post: when i don't use that option, the alter. listening p., i get an orange triangle instead.

i have truly tried all options(i think).

so what i am wondering here, is it at all possible my ISP, hughes net, might have some doing in this? i really think i eliminated all other possibilities, ie router setting, fw, ut. :/

• 8 months later...

When you change the settings and get a yellow triangle this is a good sign. I will tell you that when I get the red circle it is because I have specified something in advanced that is not correct such as net.bind_ip for my wired NIC when it is not plugged in.

Think of it this way:

Red circle = uTorrent problem

Yellow triangle = Port forward problem

Forgive me if you have already tried this but get the yellow triangle and then be patient when there is a lot of network congestion it can take a couple minutes for the indicator to turn green. If it does not look at your forwarding/firewall settings not uTorrent settings.

• 4 months later...

Archived