Running BT for LAN Distro

FoolioDawg

Hello All,

I've been using uTorrent for awhile and we wanted to use uT as our distro system at our next LAN party. BT is ideal for distro of large files while uT is extremely idea since it doesn't require more than... 104 kB. We've run some test benches for the upcoming date, but we've run into some interestings:

In a single seeder single client environment we can only obtain a maximum of 400 kB/s. All were fresh installs without any restrictions. Is there anything that we're missing. We definately need to raise the speed levels higher than 400. The seeder was originally set on superseeder.

Thanks!

Foolio

Manually raise the diskio.write_queue_size to a higher value like 12000 or 16000, see what works for you.

Also, try not to use super-seeding, it doesn't seem to work very fast (nor is it ever recommended for high-bandwidth situations, and this comes from those who created the spec).

Thanks guys for your quick replies. When my buddy gets home he'll try the diskio.

I was sightly mistaken when we did superseeding. Apparently our first attempt was done with that method but then all subsequent tests was just ran as normal seeding.

Another peice of information I failed to mention is when multiple torrents were ran in the single client server environment, we were able to get each torrent to 400 kB/s, but no individual torrent would go beyond that. I do not know if the I/O setting is affected by this, but we'll definately try it.

Let me know if there's anything else we can try. Thanks

Foolio

is this possible for the casual user? What if iwanted to transfer a file from one cpu to another using a router can I do this and if so how? Currently I use msn messenger but have been searching for more effective ways to get it going. Help would be appreciated. (sorry for interfering w/ ur topic should probably have made a new one)

Yes dipp. Set a high cache value (16000 or higher), create a torrent and put in your local IP:port as the tracker URL (ex 192.168.1.2:54321), open said torrent on the seeding client, then send that torrent to yourself on the other PC and open it there. SHould work in theory.

Though I don't see why you just don't use the built-in windows file sharing, it works very well. Even if one was Linux and the other Windows, Samba would let them communicate.

This method's mainly for transferring things across the internet to friends, or maybe with crummy wireless connections. Or when it's to more than one person on the LAN. For single person transfers on a LAN, it's not that effective imo.

LAN party means lots of computers, not just 2. It takes time to copy files from one computer to every other computer at the party. If you have 100 people, and you're sending a (hypothetical) 1 GB file, it can take a lot longer sending the 1 GB 100 times, as opposed to sending maybe 200% of the size while everyone is getting files simultaneously from the swarm. Basically, it's the same exact advantages of BitTorrent over traditional HTTP/FTP transfers.

LAN party means lots of computers, not just 2. It takes time to copy files from one computer to every other computer at the party. If you have 100 people, and you're sending a (hypothetical) 1 GB file, it can take a lot longer sending the 1 GB 100 times, as opposed to sending maybe 200% of the size while everyone is getting files simultaneously from the swarm. Basically, it's the same exact advantages of BitTorrent over traditional HTTP/FTP transfers.

Agreed. I was about to point this out myself - have done this at a ~50-person LAN and it works extremely well, especially with a no-install-needed client like µT that people can grab in a second over Windows file sharing.

Having 20 leechers off your one Windows file share not only will clog up your connection in a big way, Windows will start eating up all your resources. I know from experience that uploading to that many leechers over 100Mbit ethernet is difficult. However, creating a torrent on a local network fixed the problem for me, we all got much faster transfers too :D

edit: Make sure you pick the largest piece size you can get, too, no matter what the size of the file you're transferring. The extra time spent hashing the file is just not worth it for the time it takes to re-get a 4MB piece over LAN - as well as the fact that the reliability of the network is that much greater than the Internet that you shouldn't have a problem with hash fails anyway.

"Though I don't see why you just don't use the built-in windows file sharing, it works very well." from my post was directed to dipp, who was asking to use it to transfer from one PC of his to another. :P in fact, the entire post was directed to him, not the ones running BT on the LAN XD

I do say that it's a great method for distributing to more than one person, but when it's to only one, it's pointless and takes more effort than it's worth. :)

I think his post was not directed @ the BT LAN user.

"Though I don't see why you just don't use the built-in windows file sharing, it works very well." from my post was directed to dipp, who was asking to use it to transfer from one PC of his to another. :P in fact, the entire post was directed to him, not the ones running BT on the LAN XD

I do say that it's a great method for distributing to more than one person, but when it's to only one, it's pointless and takes more effort than it's worth. :)

Thanks for the help I just setup up the windows file sharing thing.

It is definitely for distribution to multiple computers (maybe 5-10GB to ~20-35 comps we're estimating). Playing with queue sizes yielded no better of speeds. The limitation is 400-500KB/s per connection apparently. Strangely enough when another torrent is added those same two computers can transfer 400KB/s per torrent. Likewise with one torrent and two peers I managed ~750KB/s on both non-seed clients. I'm thinking it'll be OK when we have 20 comps, hopefully it'll be 20 x ~400KB/s per torrent which is plenty to max out a 100Mb LAN (we'll find out very soon). If anyone has any ideas on why this is happening though I'd be interested. The original test used 2MB pieces, but a later test with 4MB pieces yielded similar results. Anyhow, thanks for everyone's input.

Archived