µTorrent 1.7 Release Candidate 6 (build 3295)

Firon

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@kurahashi: At this point, what isn't clear is what you're referring to as 'inner' and 'outer' LAN. You only ever mentioned one LAN, so I can't see how you're making the distinction between 'inner' and 'outer' LAN. If you're referring to WAN, well... WAN = outside of LAN != local. Does Local Peer Discovery work outside of your router? Firon already answered that question earlier in the thread.

Hi,

I just encountered a strange behavior, maybe it's a bug, maybe it's just a new setting.

My system: WinXP SP2, fully patched.

utorrent: 1.7rc2 (standalone)

I used to run 1.6.1 (latest build) as standalone (not installed, just put the exe in a directory). When I switched to 1.7rc2, I just replaced the exe. First it run fine (f.e. showing the message, that it will use the settings file present in the directory), but after restarting the system, 1.7rc2 _rechecks_ all torrents due for download. The completed ones start right away with seeding, but the others take a while (in fact, a couple of hours ...) to recheck. I tried several times, every time I start 1.7rc2, it does this recheck. Any ideas about this?

I used to run 1.6.1 (latest build) as standalone (not installed, just put the exe in a directory). When I switched to 1.7rc2, I just replaced the exe. First it run fine (f.e. showing the message, that it will use the settings file present in the directory), but after restarting the system, 1.7rc2 _rechecks_ all torrents due for download. The completed ones start right away with seeding, but the others take a while (in fact, a couple of hours ...) to recheck. I tried several times, every time I start 1.7rc2, it does this recheck. Any ideas about this?

That would indicate you are not letting µTorrent shut down gracefully. If for some reason it cannot completely shut down, all torrents that are being downloaded will need to be rechecked again. If the problem persist, try enabling bt.graceful_shutdown in Advanced:

bt.graceful_shutdown: If enabled, µTorrent will take as long as it needs to finish its shutdown sequence (writing in-progress pieces to disk, deleting files in deletion queue, and waiting for tracker replies to stop messages -- among other things). That means that even if it takes several minutes to shutdown gracefully, it will wait for that long, and the process will remain in memory until then. If disabled, µTorrent will limit how long it waits to to 10 seconds, and regardless of the state of the shutdown sequence, µTorrent will force itself to exit.

@5618:

Thanks for the answer, I will try this (won't do it now, 'cause the system is half way through with rechecking ...).

Actually I thought about exactly this option and started searching the website, but you were faster than me.

Nevertheless I just wondered, why it worked with the previous version (1.6.1). Didn't that version come with this option?

@kurahashi: Well as far as I know (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) if the people in your LAN all have public IPs utorrent won't recognise them as local using that method.

And your router will probably NOT send the Multicast packets over its WAN ethernet port (which is what you use to connect to the rest of your LAN).

So effectively µtorrent has no way to determine which IP is local and which is not.

You'd need a feature that has been talked about in various topics but afaik never requested in the Feature Request forum that allows you to manually define a certain public IP range as local.

what you are saying, is actually - save the state of the logger selections of the user - for the next session. I agree - but we should do it for all the logger settings/check-marks. Since uT save the last open tab state for the next session, it is only logical that it will save it's internal state/selections. Actually - this seems like a bug to me...

So - I hope they fix it in the final release...

--- 2007-05-22: Version 1.7 (build 1952)

- Feature: Now remembers which log settings you had on each run when changed from the logger context menu

You're still using build 1875? There is no bug with the Logger tab. The current builds do save the logger tab context menu options just fine, and have ever since 1952 (over a month ago now).

@Abel: This isn't a feature request thread.

Well as far as I know (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) if the people in your LAN all have public IPs utorrent won't recognise them as local using that method

Why? The difference between LAN and WAN is not about the IPs hosts are using (private or public) but the media they are connected. In my case (of this 'outer' LAN) all hosts are connected by fast ethernet and switch, the direct transfers between us reach 100Mbit/s, therefore it's LAN. Doesn't matter they have public IPs.

And your router will probably NOT send the Multicast packets over its WAN ethernet port (which is what you use to connect to the rest of your LAN).

To be precise, my router is a linux machine with two ethernet cards aboard. But I agree, it will not route over the multicast packets...unless I reconfigure its routing policies. But how? And is it possible, anyway? I admit, I never had anything to do with multicast earlier so I'm kinda newb here. Going reading about multicast - thank you very much for great advice, almost as good as saying to someone who don't understand how to setup correct port forwarding "go learn about TCP/IP protocol" :(

You'd need a feature that has been talked about in various topics but afaik never requested in the Feature Request forum that allows you to manually define a certain public IP range as local

Yes, this would be certainly helpful, but I think I saw it already requested and rejected.

You're still using build 1875? There is no bug with the Logger tab. The current builds do save the logger tab context menu options just fine, and have ever since 1952 (over a month ago now).

right you are... and I trusted Teerex with this. seems to be no problem to always log errors of uPnP then...

... hmmm.. and I wasn't born yet in 1952... :P

Why? The difference between LAN and WAN is not about the IPs hosts are using (private or public) but the media they are connected.

Actually the most common definition of a LAN is 'geographically close to each other'. It idd has nothing to do with public/private IPs and also doesn't have anything to do with network equipment used.

However from a technical perspective a LAN is accepted as a network of linked computers that uses a defined set of IPs (preferably in the local range but at least all in the same chosen subnet (utilized through the subnetmask)) and is connected to other LANs and/or WANs by the use of a router/gateway (in the broadest sense of the word). You utilize a router and have created another set of IPs with its own subnet on your side of it. By doing this you de facto created your own private LAN and your PC isn't part of the other LAN.

I have no idea how to route multicast packets to another subnet if posible. And then still other equipment could block it. Other people in your 'LAN' could use routers too. If the 'LAN' you describe is merely a custom subdivision made by your ISP to allow high-speed traffic between members of the same ISP I wouldn't even describe it as a LAN in both the common definition as from the technical perspective. Its just a special set of speed limiting rules in the network of your ISP.

All the bickering over definitions and expected behavior aside the higher speed is the most important symptom of a LAN for µtorrent and probably the main reason of local peer discovery. Being able to define a range of IPs that should not be affected by the speed limits is a worthy addition and I suggest you create a topic for it on the Feature Request forum.

Archived