µTorrent 1.7 Release Candidate 6 (build 3295)

Firon

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because neither UPX nor PECompact caused any problems, so the devs continued to use PECompact. When I say problems, I'm referring to stability issues, not paranoid antivirus software problems. Those nothing can be done about until the antivirus companies clean up their act and realize that not every executable under the sun is malware-infested just because it is packed. And it's not as if µTorrent itself is/contains malware, so the warnings can easily be ignored.

For further proof that it's just the antivirus software being stupid, you'll notice that in the previously posted VirusTotal screenshot of RC3, the worst result was "suspicious," and the most detailed of those revealed that it was simply basing the warning on the a generic rule -- Win32.ModifiedUPX.gen!84. What a worthless heuristics rule; all it does is make it appear to the user that the antivirus is doing something.

I don't care about antivirus software. I just don't like the way exe packers work. They stop OS from ability to free memory (swap) without actually using swap file. Because executable is uncompressed directly to memory, OS can only push this memory to swap file instead of just freeing it and then re-reading file contents when needed.

http://download.utorrent.com/1.7/utorrent-1.7-rc4.exe

--- 2007-07-05: Version 1.7 (build 3170)

- Change: Tweaks to XML parser

- Change: HTTP client now tries to acquire more data per request

- Change: improved statusbar text for local bandwidth

- Change: speed up delete .torrent and/or data a bit (parallelize tracker and disk ops)

Translations and strings for translation are not yet available, and this build isn't up on auto-update. Reason? Firon is away for now, and will be back in a few days. Please continue to have patience :)

just remembered that a very old bug - is still here. may be it's time to clean this up too ... :

the tray-balloon notification does not work on Win98 ... ;P

#2:

log message :

[07:29:55] 67.167.0.142 : [µTorrent/1.6.1.0]: Handshake completed

are displayed when "log error" is enabled. seems to me those are not errors ?! but... can be log into the verbose item ..

http://download.utorrent.com/1.7/utorrent-1.7-rc4.exe

--- 2007-07-05: Version 1.7 (build 3170)

- Change: Tweaks to XML parser

- Change: HTTP client now tries to acquire more data per request

- Change: improved statusbar text for local bandwidth

- Change: speed up delete .torrent and/or data a bit (parallelize tracker and disk ops)

Last edited by Ultima (Today 12:53:20)

build no. is 3166 instead of 3170

Because neither UPX nor PECompact caused any problems, so the devs continued to use PECompact. When I say problems, I'm referring to stability issues, not paranoid antivirus software problems. Those nothing can be done about until the antivirus companies clean up their act and realize that not every executable under the sun is malware-infested just because it is packed. And it's not as if µTorrent itself is/contains malware, so the warnings can easily be ignored.

For further proof that it's just the antivirus software being stupid, you'll notice that in the previously posted VirusTotal screenshot of RC3, the worst result was "suspicious," and the most detailed of those revealed that it was simply basing the warning on the a generic rule -- Win32.ModifiedUPX.gen!84. What a worthless heuristics rule; all it does is make it appear to the user that the antivirus is doing something.

but switching from PECompact to UPX takes advantage of high speed of decompressing program image and resources.

- Change: Show the local bandwidth in the status bar and in the speed graph (the latter in purple and blue)

I know you spoke about this problem a long time but I don't understand all what you said (I'm french user).

I have three computers at home and only mine uses µTorrent. So, why I have blue and purple lines on the graph ?

pihug12 :cool:

[PS : It seems there is no problem with RC4 and Kaspersky AV (there was four updates of definitions since I noticed the problem).]

Here's a feature suggestion for future versions: ability to set up download uptions (download folder, label, speed limits) per tracker. That's one thing I'm really missing in utorrent. It's still the best client out there.

No OS has the "ability" you describe' date=' and we're talking 500k of .exe anyway.[/quote']

Every NT based OS have this ability. And if this .exe is 500k, why do you ever need to pack it?

The only thing that executable compression prevents is for multiple processes of the same app from sharing parts of the memory (program _code_ and (static) const data only, afaik). So there's nothing really lost with uTorrent since you're always running only one instance of it. And the O/S is as capable of swapping "unused" parts of the program out of RAM (to swap) as with unpacked executables. So, in the end, the only thing you'd gain from having unpacked exe is the start-up speed (because there'd be no decompression needed).

Edit: Plase note, the same thing happens if you use NTFS's file compression on an executable or DLL. I have to agree with the why part though. I like regular unpacked executables much more, even though there's usually nothing gained from having them :)

Right, I really should've noted that in the release post. Firon is away at the moment, and he's the one who normally does the auto-update stuff. Until he returns, the auto-update server likely won't get updated. He won't be gone for too much longer anyhow. Regardless, I've said before that when auto-updates aren't pushed to the user, then it's known/intentional, and that it doesn't need to be reported. Thanks for the concern, though :)

Edit: Post updated...

Archived