disable DHT & scraping for a torrent that is stopped.

boo

I have recently noticed that even if the torrent is stopped,

µTorrent still communicates with the tracker because of DHT and scraping.

I think and wish that stopped torrents should have their scraping and DHT disabled.

It's just unnecessary traffic and why should you get hammered by

anti-p2p people even if you aren't downloaded ;)

The point of a scrape is for use with seeding priorities. In other words, the scrape updates the seed/peer count so if you have a seeding priority for torrents without seeds, you're client will automatically start that torrent again.

As far as DHT, it only sends DHT announces for active torrents. However, DHT is constantly running whether you have peers or not. The name "Distributed Hash Table" implies that all clients spread out the load of tracking torrents, even ones they aren't even using.

You may wish to read up more on what DHT is and how it works so you understand why there is always some overhead bandwidth. Azureus and BitComet both have DHT overhead.

P.S. Your request won't be added to the Feature Request Tracking page at this stage

The point of a scrape is for use with seeding priorities. In other words, the scrape updates the seed/peer count so if you have a seeding priority for torrents without seeds, you're client will automatically start that torrent again.

As far as DHT, it only sends DHT announces for active torrents. However, DHT is constantly running whether you have peers or not. The name "Distributed Hash Table" implies that all clients spread out the load of tracking torrents, even ones they aren't even using.

You may wish to read up more on what DHT is and how it works so you understand why there is always some overhead bandwidth. Azureus and BitComet both have DHT overhead.

P.S. Your request won't be added to the Feature Request Tracking page at this stage

so if its not DHT and scraping, what is the traffic that utorrent make with the torrents + you can see the swarm when the torrent is stopped, I spoke about this in a bug report earlier, check post 1-11(haven't read the others where firon discuss with kynen) = http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=2376

I really wonder, is it a µTorrent bug or DHT and scraping :P

BEcause in my bug thread firon determinedly say its DHT or scraping and

now when I request that you torrent should disalble DHT & scraping for stopped torrents,

NiteShdw determinedly says its not scraping or DHT :P

ScubaSteve: the bandwidth never really goes to 0 because µTorrent still sends and receives a piece occasionally in paused mode. It seems like it's not possible for them to stay connected without sending any new data at least on occasion, though it certainly tries to keep it as low as possible.

boo: like NiteShdw said, DHT is always active, but a torrent doesn't use it unless it's started. It's best to be always connected to the DHT network, it's not good for you to be going on and off over and over, hence why it's always active. It's "active", but using idle bandwidth, since every node on DHT works like a tracker. Even when a torrent is active, the bandwidth only goes up while it announces to the DHT network, and then goes back to "idle".

The point of a scrape is for use with seeding priorities. In other words' date=' the scrape updates the seed/peer count so if you have a seeding priority for torrents without seeds, you're client will automatically start that torrent again.

[i']P.S. Your request won't be added to the Feature Request Tracking page at this stage

so if its not DHT and scraping, what is the traffic that utorrent make with the torrents + you can see the swarm when the torrent is stopped, I spoke about this in a bug report earlier, check post 1-11(haven't read the others where firon discuss with kynen) = http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=2376

I'm not sure you're understanding NiteShdw here... (s)he's saying that scrape and DHT are active all the time, for a reason.

I'm not sure you're understanding NiteShdw here... (s)he's saying that scrape and DHT are active all the time, for a reason.

guess I read his post to quickly :P

Anyway, I think there should be an option to disable it for torrents that is stopped.

because of 2 reasons =

1. For people who have very slow dsl, 56k or ISDN,

it would be good for their bandwidth to disalbe DHT for stopped torrents.

Because 5-8kb/s both in downlod and upload is allot for them.

2. Less anti-p2p that is hammering you

When you stop a torrent, it doesn't use anywhere near that much bandwidth. More like .2-.4 up, .2 down on average.

kynen's problem was that he was getting hammered by anti-p2p, even closing µTorrent and changing ports didn't help. :P

and its very usual that you do get hammered = it waste bandwidth, really bad for slow users. Lol, I checked a stopped torrent I had, 11kb/s in upload :P

i know about when u pause it, it still have to maintain contact with the seeds/peers but 8kB/s seems abit strange when i was only connected to about 6 seeds and 35 peers. seems abit to high if u ask me.

its kind of high, but communication in pause mode is ok in my opinion, but in stopped mode, you should be able to turn of DHT.

Let me clarify:

If you stop a torrent, uTorrent stops sending DHT announces for that torrent. If you stop a torrent then uncheck "Enable DHT" in properties window, it won't make any difference at all. In fact, if you look at the General tab on a stopped torrent, DHT Status says "inactive", i.e. not doing anything.

Scraping occurs even for stopped torrents so you can see how many peers/seeds there are. Scrape traffic is very minimal. Of course, if you have something like 2500 torrents listed in your uTorrent window, then maybe scrape data would take up a little bandwidth.

Now, regarding the large amount of bandwidth you were experiencing, that's not normal. Right now, I'm running uTorrent 1.2.1, with NO active torrents (They are all in FINISHED state). DHT is "updating..." and has collected 200 nodes, and is using 1.0KB/s up and down. After a few seconds, DHT stops "Updating" and is now using.. 0.0KB/s.

You can always uncheck "Enable Scraping" and "Enable DHT" in the Preferences window to see what the difference would be with them off and on, but I don't think it would be anything significant.

P.S. I'm still using 0.0KB/s with DHT and scraping enabled, with "(total: 68.3 kB)" over the last several minutes. Oh it just went up by 0.1 kB.

Archived