1.7b 2999: Initial-seeding bug

Honeyfrog

Situation: New torrent with exactly one peer. When I initially-seed, the peer isn't sent anything. When I regular-seed, he is.

Guess: The peer has marked files at the beginning of the torrent as "Don't download", and uTorrent is stubbornly re-offering piece #1 over and over and over....

Your guess is right - in fact you can observe it interactively but skipping the first files in a torrent and then trying to download.

But, this appears to happen in 1.6 too on both the seeder and downloads ends (if you can confirm this too that would be helpful) - and I'm not entirely sure if it a real bug or not. I'll need to consult some things...

Bug or not, it's something that needs to be dealt with, because multi-file torrents are becoming more and more common. I am presently initially seeding -- painfully -- a gigantic archive (over 350 smaller files) in which at least half the peers are only interested in some of the material. I don't mind them receiving pieces provided they retrade them before receiving another, but if I turn on full-blast regular seeding, a goodly portion will retrieve their file of interest and then boogie.

uTorrent needs a mechanism to determine which pieces peers are interested in and doling them out while still observing initial-seeding parameters (i.e., sending pieces in numerial order from lowest to highest, etc).

-- Essentially it should pretend that each file inside a multi-file torrent is a torrent itself with its own piece-count.

Archived