For people not able to open port, and getting red (!)

juggy

For all of you people that can't get your port open regardless of how many times you correctly port forwarded, created static ip, etc.. I was just like you guys. I have a linksys WRT54GS router and did everything right. I set up the static IP, set up the port forwarding, ran the Utorrent port open test and it would NEVER be open. After a tonne of research, I solved my problem so maybe this will help some of you with a similar situation.

My setup: Bellsouth (Miami) DSL service with a Linksys WRT54GS router.

What I did: Created a static IP and port forwarded to the selected port such as what is described at portforward.com

What I discovered: (and yes, I know to most of you network people, this stuff is obvious) The modem itself is a router as well, and as such needs to be configured as well. Problem is, even if you port forward your modem as well, chances are it might not work because not all modems can run as a router in front of a router and handle two port forwarding requests. Such was my case.

What I had to do: Get my modem to act in "bridged mode" which means the modem just acts as a bridge right to your router. Then you set up your router in PPPOE mode (instead of DHCP) to act as the main login vehicle to the internet. Essentially, your modem acts as a bridge between the internet and your router. This will then allow the settings in your router to actually work correctly.

How to accomplish this task: If you are knowledgable about how to set your modem to bridged mode by logging into your modem, then go for it, if not I suggest you call your ISP provider and tell them you want your modem to act as a bridge to your router. They will walk you through the steps which usually entails just one or two configuration selections in the modem menu to switch to bridged mode. There are no complex settings, just switch from PPPOE to bridged mode, that simple. Then they should be able to walk you through how to set up your router to login at PPPOE mode instead of DHCP mode. You'll need your ISP login ID and PW.

Whala, your Utorrent should now give you a green light and your port open tests should be successful. I am even now able to play my xbox live without problems. I hope this helps those of you that have "Done everything on portforward.com but it still doesn't work!!".

Ah there it is! I couldn't find where I got the info from! Ya know when you are research the problem, you read so many links and so many suggestions that when you finally find one that works, you have no idea where you got it from! The excerpt that helped me from your Utorrent user manual:

[sNIP]

Juggy, how about this situation: I have the exact scenario you listed above; but, with a couple things different. I have a cable modem and cannot change to "Bridge" mode (After calling lynksys they assured me my modem can not act as a router). However after the modem comes the VoIP (With router), then the router. In order to access the VoIP interface I have to contact my VOIP provider. But what do I ask them (besides how can I access it) ? What do I do with the VoIP box and Router, how do I set them up, ect? BTW- modem, VoIP box, and router are all cisco / lynksys.

had this problem a couple of weeks ago im a newbie Did aload of research couldn't understand most of it (ie ) all of it Last resort looked at Pc-Cillin at some time i must have changed my PROFILE I put it back worked ok I should have looked there first My excuse is "im stupid "

@buddah1620: Connect your computer directly to the VoIP box, and check the ipconfig /all output for the default gateway IP address. Access that IP in your browser, and see if you can fiddle around with the settings (be it chain forwarding, or setting it to bridge mode).

Ok, finally got access to VOiP box, and sure enough... disappointment. :( The VOIP Gizmo does not have bridge mode as an option. It does have:

1. DHCP - currently using

2. Static IP - don't want to use

3. PPPoE

4. PPPoE, DHCP

5. DHCP, PPPoE

Whats the verdict guy? if you were me what would you do?

Archived