Internal/External Static IP address??

TaniaC

OK, I already KNOW this is a very stupid question, but that has never stopped me asking them in the past.... ;)

I have been slogging my way through the process of setting up a Static IP and Port Forwarding as described on www.portforward.com, but have a very basic question. My ISP (aaNet in Australia) states that they provide a "Static IP free of charge". Am I right in assuming this is a static "external" IP (whatever the correct term is), and in order to do all the Port Forwarding stuff, I still need to set up a Static IP on my "internal" LAN?

Please, no cries of derision or scorn - until a week ago I didn't even own a computer, so the learning curve is VERRRRRRRRRRY steep! In fact, if anyone knows a good website that could be translated as "The Idiot's Guide to how IP addresses and thingys work", please point this idiot in the right direction!

Thanks,

T

Please, no cries of derision or scorn

And absolutely none will be given. You're absolutely correct in your assumption -- the external IP has no bearing on how/whether ports are forwarded, and ISPs can generally promise only static external IPs.

If you've never owned a computer, and have come this far in understanding, I'd say you're doing an excellent job in finding your way around :)

You wouldn't say that if you'd heard me swearing at the thing at 2am on Sunday morning! That said, I managed to "lose" my internet connection twice and fix it twice (took about ten hours each time) so I am awarding myself a big chufty badge!

Thanks for the clarification - watch out for me on these forums asking more inane questions (I promise to read ALL the threads first...!) Cheers.

I'm just grateful for users that actually try, and do read stuff :P

Just a heads up: there's also a manual for µTorrent in my signature (third link is most updated), which -- IMHO -- includes valuable information on µTorrent, and BitTorrent in general. Take a look if you're ever curious :)

I can't find a way to send a PM on here so I will just put this here - my uTorrent is now up and running, port is open, green tick is present and correct. DL speeds are still only around the 50kb/s mark but I am working on that! So just wanted to say thanks for the help yesterday - much appreciated!

T

Archived