Linksys Router = Really slow downloads

jeffsmith

I've been trying to get uTorrent to play friendly with my Linksys WRT54G Router. Problem is download speed is like 2-8 kB/s, and I have 8 megabit DL. Also webbrowsing is really slow when running uTorrent. When I don't use the router my speeds are fine and I get 400 kB/s without hassle. But I really want to use the router!

WRT54G has UPnP and I've configured it correctly (I think), I followed these instructions: http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/WRT54G/default.htm (although I've played around with a lot of settings and nothing seems to do it).

uTorrent reports UPnP (49999) OK! and I tried the nice test here http://www.btfaq.com/natcheck.pl which gave me a Pass! Successfully connected and received client response.

Machine:

Athlon M 2.4 Ghz, 512 Mb, 200 GB S-ATA

Software:

WindowsXP SP2, Peerguardian 2, uTorrent (port 49999), Windows Firewall (opened port 49999 for uTorrent).

So in short, I don't have any error messages or warnings, no problem connecting to trackers, everything is working fine... But where is my download speed??? It's just silly that as soon as i disconnect the router my downloads are blazing fast. Apparently something is wrong but no sign of what it might be... I know people get good speeds with this router so that shouldn't be the problem, but what do I know...

I really don't want to try Azureus, although many claim it's really good with this fast DL/UPnP/Router-business. I really like uTorrent. Any help appreciated.

i have the same router (wrt54gs) my speeds where crappy when i used firmware v4.70 in october (i'd have to reset it almost daily), but it was fine before with the firmware (v3.37) it came with, wich didnt cause those errors for me. so i flashed back to 3.37, been happy ever since.

But i will give hyperwrt a try, i've read good things about it on a linksys forum. i do especially like the variable : ip_conntrack_tcp_timeouts i believe its the one that tells the router how long to remember all the connexions made from the puter (ie: set it low and your router should'nt act flooded by all the p2p connexions anymore)

I read the default for this value in linksys's firmware version 4.xx are 1 week. thats way too long for p2p as you can imagine.

I downloaded this firmware to mainly because I wanted a range boost but I don't know how to change the amount of power it uses. I have a wrt54gs v1. I am pretty sure there is a way to increase power usage using the thibor firmware but I don't know how to do this. I checked the routers page and couldn't find anything. Help would be much appreciated.

You have to reboot for the script to take effect.

But well, you shouldn't go above 100% usually, unless you're absolutely SURE the router is properly cooled. Raising the power beyond 100 generates more heat, and it can potentially degrade the signal quality.

• 2 months later...

Archived