B2999 Preference > Advanced > bt.enable_tracker has no effect

funchords

Using the Embedded Tracker feature in 1.7 RC B2999, uTorrent 1.7 RC2 (B2999) and BitTornado 0.3.18 reports "HTTP Error 300" as the tracker status. BitComet reports receiving a 0-length response.

The behaviors are unchanged regardless of the setting, leading me to believe that the tracker is not being enabled when set.

Restarting the application had no effect.

Update:

The correct bug summary (Message Subject) should be "Embedded Tracker Port is the WebUI Port"

When uTorrent's WebUI is configured for an "Alternative listening port" that is different from the bittorrent port, the embedded tracker also responds on that alternative port.

Steps to reproduce:

1. In Options, Preferences,

... Advanced, set bt.enable_tracker to true

... Advanced > WebUI, set Alternative listening port to 7575

2. Create a torrent specifying the tracker announce using either the LAN or WAN IP and port, in the right format, for example, http://192.168.0.55:55055/announce

3. Use the File, Add Torrent dialog to load and start the .torrent file you just created on the same machine or on a different machine

RESULT: The Tracker Status is reported as HTTP Error 300

4. In Options, Preferences, Advanced > WebUI, disable the Alternative listening port

5. Manually update the tracker

RESULT: The Tracker Status is reported as working

When uTorrent's WebUI is configured for an "Alternative listening port" that is different from the bittorrent port, the embedded tracker also responds on that alternative port.

Yeah, it's actually described in the manual; it's not a bug, and is like that by design. I tend to disagree with that kind of behavior, though, since some people may want to use the internal tracker, and at the same time, hide their webui from nosy people.

Okay, I can live with that. I actually was suspecting that I would get that reply -- but I couldn't find anything. From the main web page, I checked the FAQ and the Guides.

I very nearly just replied to you and asked, "What manual?" until I saw your siggy.

Why is the manual so hidden? Why no HTML version on the top of the FAQ page (since that's where the uTorrent Help Menu tends to take the users)?

• 8 months later...

Also, one note regarding this BUG:

The WebUI doesn't have to enabled. If you enable WebUI, check alt port checkbox and disable WebUI, it will still give you HTTP Error 300. And to solve this, you have to uncheck the alt port checkbox regardless whether WebUI enabled or disabled!

This bug is still valid in uT v1.7.7

Indeed, the bug has been reported before.

@jewelisheaven: It's really a problem with UI design more than anything. If Web UI is disabled, you would expect the alternative port to be disabled as well, since it gets grayed -- that isn't the case, which is misleading.

Archived