Already tried everything and still getting almost no downloads at all

supazio

I'm using a static IP address out of DHCP range, I tried forwarding with the default WRT54GS v4 firmware, so when that didn't work, I used the DD WRT v23 Standard v4 firmware, and that still didn't work. I configured all the speed settings according to my connection speed, which didn't do anything. WHAT MORE CAN BE DONE TO MAKE μTORRENT WORK?

I'm on a WRT54GSv4 router. And I'm not just getting slow speeds, I'm getting NO speeds. Torrents just sit there and do nothing (I'm sure they aren't dead, μtorrent is showing over 1200 peers for one).

Well, if you've tried everything, then there is nothing left to suggest! Nyuk! Nyuk!

And I'm not just getting slow speeds, I'm getting NO speeds.

It's possible that we're being distracted by the router version issue, and that there is some other problem happening.

Turn on Windows Firewall (if it's off), and then connect your WAN cable to your computer (bypassing the router). If the behavior is still the same, then the router is not the problem.

I seem to have found a very brute force-esque method for a temporary fix. Long story short, I forwarded all ports between 3000 and 65000 to my computer, and I restart utorrent every 10 minutes or so. Once I get unlazy, I'll take my computer downstairs and hook it up to the modem. Just for reference, what should I look for, and what should I fix if a) it goes faster and everything works or B) same story?

Edit: I also randomize the port every time utorrent opens.

I also randomize the port every time utorrent opens.

Don't do that. Set your port to something like 15001 and forward that through your router.

Then, you can turn off any software firewall, because you have a router. You won't have to expose your computer directly on the modem.

Indeed, the only time random should be used is if UPnP is enabled and working, DMZ is used for the computer, or no NAT is in place. If the port is forwarded manually, it would make no sense to change it every time µTorrent starts up, as manual != automatic.

Basically, except for a few ports, he has put DMZ in place ("I forwarded all ports between 3000 and 65000 to my computer").

What he's saying is that changing his incoming port every 10 minutes or so seems to help.

> Just for reference, what should I look for,

Look for a change in the behavior.

> and what should I fix if a) it goes faster and everything works

If it goes faster, then your router -- or something plugged into it -- has the problem. Routers are not expensive -- consider the time and trouble you've already placed into this and whether trying a different model might help. You might also visit the Linksys forum on www.dslreports.com and ask for help there (they are excellent, there).

> or B) same story?

If there is no change, then you can stop adjusting your router -- it is not part of the problem. Try to eliminate software conflicts on your computer, particular involving anything that hangs on to the network stack. There are some good articles out there on how to "reset" your "TCPIP" network and "winsock" for (insert your O/S here). Google for them.

Archived