BT protocol peer ratios?

myndzi

Also remember that those with limited upload bandwidth suffer even more in your terms: They have to stick to a low number of upload slots, divinding that low amount of KB/s they can share in even further per peer. Even i have to make it so every peer gets 1KB/s from me, because thats the best i can do. 12KB/s max cap on my connection, I use around 9KB/s in order to not kill my connection, Four upload slots per torrent. Running a single torrent would get every peer i send to 2.25KB/s while running two torrents (i somtimes do that, one dowloads while the other is seeding, helps me get my seeding tasks done earlier) would result in at least 8 slots open, which would give each peer 1.125KB/s. It's just a result of how bad and dependent upload streams are on those kind of connections such as ADSL.

Well I personaly am angered when the people that can only upload at 5kbs get the file first, not only does that slow everyone down because he is taking up more of the avalible bandwidth, but when he is done he will upload a lot slower than other people such as me would.

That's more or less exactly what I am saying.

Also remember that those with limited upload bandwidth suffer even more in your terms: They have to stick to a low number of upload slots, divinding that low amount of KB/s they can share in even further per peer. Even i have to make it so every peer gets 1KB/s from me, because thats the best i can do. 12KB/s max cap on my connection, I use around 9KB/s in order to not kill my connection, Four upload slots per torrent. Running a single torrent would get every peer i send to 2.25KB/s while running two torrents (i somtimes do that, one dowloads while the other is seeding, helps me get my seeding tasks done earlier) would result in at least 8 slots open, which would give each peer 1.125KB/s. It's just a result of how bad and dependent upload streams are on those kind of connections such as ADSL.

I have one of those connections.

That said, you aren't listening. I didn't say anything about upload speed for a single peer to peer connection. Your ratio on the torrent will be the same whether you have four slots at 5k apiece or 8 at 2.5k apiece.

There should be some kind of control of the peers you upload to by knowing their global/total share ratio, so the guys who finish downloading and quit right away can be left aside. If they can wait to download they can wait to upload.

Archived