PunBB (to the Admins, Moderators)

funchords

Well, server load currently shows as 0.21 0.33 0.36 (133 users online)

That's the CPU % usage averaged over 1, 5, and 15 minutes, respectively (IINM). Then again, I'm not sure what the server specs are, but it's from Staminus (their servers are dedicated, and pretty beefy).

"Critical missing features" is a very subjective term. It gets the job done here is what I can say. As for ease-of-administration... I can't say much, as I'm not an administrator, but as a moderator, I find it just a bit annoying that it's missing an easier way to split/merge threads. Well, there is no such feature by default by default; it requires a mod, and the one we have installed only allows moving posts one-by-one (painful at times, to say the least). Really, though, I find myself rarely needing much beyond the basic "move, close, stick, delete." My best advice to you for evaluating the ease-of-administration is to just grab PunBB and try it on your own server, or maybe test it from here.

PunBB is a very simple bulletin board software, so don't be surprised if it doesn't have a lot of what you may need. That said, I still think it's pretty awesome :P

PunBB is a fast and lightweight PHP-powered discussion board.

Confirmed.

It is released under the GNU General Public License.

Great.

Its primary goals are to be faster, smaller and less graphically intensive as compared to other discussion boards.

Goal Reached.

PunBB has fewer features than many other discussion boards, but is generally faster and outputs smaller, semantically correct XHTML-compliant pages.

Yes, but Yes.

If you understand these goals, and agree with them, PunBB is for you.

Archived