Tweaking advanced settings

titon

Firts, congratulations for the awesome job with utorrent and sorry for my english.. :)

Many peoples says to chance the setting "net.max_halfopen" to gain download speed. This is necessary? If yes, which the correct value for 608 down / 320 up ADSL connection? Have other values to chance in advanced section?

See ya...

I found that on very active torrents reducing my half open max from 8 down as low as ZERO can increase my download and upload speed marginally. This is because I am not firewalled in µTorent and am already getting numerous incoming connections per minute.

Do NOT, I repeat do NOT, increase net.max_halfopen above 8 when you have not patched TCPIP.SYS to a value of 50 or 100 (default on XP SP2 is 10). It will give you serious problems. If you have patched TCPIP.SYS then increasing net.max_halfopen to a value below the patch value can potentially increase your download speed. However, I (and others) are using a patched TCPIP.SYS with the default value of net.max_halfopen (8) and I have never experienced any speed problems. So you can do it but it is not necessary.

I put zero in all caps for emphasis, yes I am very sure of this. Zero is a very special case for a very special condition. Mostly, I run with µTorrent set to 2 or 4 half open connection limit.

I know and understand what half open connections mean -- it often will help your connection only marginally even if firewalled to have half open connections set higher than 4. ...unless of course you're constantly losing connections due to hostile ISPs or very bad networking problems. But in both those cases, you might want to look into those problems before just trying to find an unreliable workaround.

yeah 5618 is right. the patch is not necessary i used my work computer that is was not port forwarded using wifi and still getting speeds around 150 kB/s but of course many factors can influence your speeds even with the optimum settings.

Archived