Confusing & Interesting

Rose

As I know uTorrent uses BitTorrent protocol when downloading files. I used wireshark protocol analyzer with uTorrent. But it didn't show any BitTorrent protocol while dowloading, but when it started seeding I could see wireshark detecting BitTorrent protocol. I'm pleased if any one could help me. Does uTorrent actually use BitTorrent protocol while downloading content?

What are your current encryption settings?

I would expect if µTorrent was using forced encryption and no legacy connections that WireShark shouldn't see any BitTorrent specific traffic at all except *maybe* by incoming connections that don't use encrpytion...and those will be automatically dropped by µTorrent (with force encryption on).

What are your current encryption settings?.

I'm new to BitTorrent. But I got to do a research project on it. Does uTorrent has any encryption mechanism built in? I havent changed any encryption settings there.

If you use WireShark, you'll probably just see TCP or UDP packets flying left and right instead of anything marked as "BitTorrent" traffic.

When dowloading a file to my machine from the network I could see whole protocol traffic except BitTorrent. But when my machine started seeding I could clearly see BitTorrent traffic via WireShark.

µTorrent played a key part in the creation of BitTorrent protocol encryption.

Many ISPs have figured out other ways to throttle it to a fraction of the "rated" line speed since then...but not all of them are so interested in losing customers.

Archived