port forwarding

timelord29

i forwarded utorrent to work on port 2302. i also opened this port on my zonealarm firewall and on my router. the port is open because i use that port for other things and it works on the other apps. but on utorrent, it says its closed. how do i fix this?

im using an actiontech GT704-WG router and Verizon 768K DSL (it goes faster than that). im also using zonealarm internet security suite 7 and i added the acception to the firewall for port 2302, as i did on the router, following directions from portforward.com.

1) my windows firewall is disabled by the zonealarm so there isnt a conflict

2) if i uninstall zonealarm i have no protection because my windows firewall (along with some other parts of my computer) are REALLY screwed up and they cant be fixed unless i completely reinstall windows and i dont feel like doing that right now.

Again, that wasn't the point of my post, seeing as how I was telling you to uninstall ZoneAlarm in the first place. Now that I think about it, your router should already have a firewall in place, so uninstalling ZoneAlarm temporarily shouldn't be a security problem in the testing period. So do uninstall it and restart your computer and check the port again.

again, the windows firewall is DEAD. i cant start it. something happens with m system where certain windows programs just disappear and the firewall stuff is part of it. even if i uninstall zonealarm, i cant check the windows firewall because it cannot be started.

*sigh* Communication's just not happening here. I already understood you the first time you said your Windows Firewall was broken; never once did I mention Windows Firewall again after that.

Reread my last post and test it as such; otherwise, we'll never get anywhere.

the first post you made told me to uninstall zonealarm and check the exception in the windows firewall. now, even if i do uninstall zonealarm, first off, i now have absolutely NO protection. my computer is an open book to anybody who's curious as to whats inside. second off, i know what you're talking about. you want me to check if the problem is the zonealarm or the router. i have solved the problem and its neither of those.

utorrent looks for clearance through the WINDOWS firewall. now, even though i'm not using the windows firewall, before it became corrupted, utorrent worked perfectly. after it became corrupted, utorrent didnt have the clearance of the windows firewall because the windows firewall is gone from my system. so, whether or not the windows firewall is on or off, as long as its in your system and has the exception, utorrent can connect. since utorrent looks for clearance through the windows firewall and it's completely erased from my system, it's missing that piece that it needs to connect.

first off, i now have absolutely NO protection. my computer is an open book to anybody who's curious as to whats inside.

If you have a router in place, that isn't true.

Additionally, ZoneAlarm has a VERY bad history with p2p application.

since utorrent looks for clearance through the windows firewall and it's completely erased from my system, it's missing that piece that it needs to connect.

uTorrent will continue to attempt to connect to the internet regardless of its success or failure in adding an exception to the windows firewall. Wether or not a firewall blocks it at that point has nothing to do with uT.

Archived