Utorrent port checker

slocko

What? So it tries to scan 192.168.1.2 or something? You can just fill out your IP and port by changing the URL of the scan. And if this really happens then you may solve some issues by filling out your WAN IP in Preferences > BitTorrent > IP/Hostname to report to tracker

Heh I think slock actually wants it to scan the LAN IP, but it's only getting the WAN IP. Checking the WAN IP is what's supposed to happen, and chances are higher that the port isn't open because you've misconfigured something, not because of the WAN IP.

Not sure if i can explain better.

Think of it as 2 walls. The first wall is your router. To get your Lan ip you need to get past the WAN ip. To get past the wan ip your router needs to have port forwarding. Once it gets through the 1st wall(Router/WAN IP) it can try get your real ip (Computer/uTorrent/Static IP). To get through the second wall your firewall needs to be configured(Zonealarm, Comodo....) so that the connection goes right through your router to uTorrent.(Seed to leecher) or (Mother to kids) :D.

you have no idea how many times i have checked and rechecked everything. played with different settings in the router. reset everything and started over. changed ips, ports.

i see only two possibilities. one the linksys router, one of the infamous 54 series, simply has a bug and doens't port forward properly, or the built in firewall in the router is blocking the port. i see no way of shutting down the firewall. it seems like the firewall in this router is just a set of 4 web filters and they are all disabled.

tonight i will try a belkin router i have to see if i can get that working properly. not that it will be much help since i need the linksys with the built in vonage ports.

if that is the issue, then i will just change to the verizon triple package. fios tv, internet, and phone.

but thanks i think i understand now. the port checker gets blocked at the router so it reports the wan ip of the router. correct? doesn't this suggest it's a router issue? the web page reports an address of 72.x.x.x which i know is the addressed assigned to the router from verizon.

okay guys. someone here must have a clue of what can be going on.

i switched out the router with a belkin and setup forwarding. it still didn't work. i then checked the port forwarding guide to see if maybe i did something wrong, and no, i did everything right.

what the heck is going on?

1) static ip? check, even though with only 3 pcs on my network, they always get the same ip. i set the utorrent pc to static anyway.

2) port forwarding configured? check. did it on my own, and then followed instructions on port forwarding. same thing.

3) reset router? - check.

port forward test web page tells me router is not allowing it through.

edit:

i thought maybe i found the answer by disabling the firewall on the belkin. no dice.

sigh.

edit 2:

put pc in DMZ, still no dice. i had done that with the linksys yesterday with same results.

the only reason to to do it ouside is so that dhcp doesn't assign a duplicate address that you are already using as static. in my experience, the machines seem to always get the same ip via dhcp. but to avoid the possiblity, it's better to assign outside the dhcp range.

Indeed. Besides that, Linksys routers sometimes don't even forward ports to IPs within the DCHP range; enough people on the forums have fixed port forwarding issues by setting their IP outside of the range.

@Coolio10: Just to be sure, the answer to your question is "no."

by modem i gather you mean router? one of the linksys wrt54 series. the one with the vonage built in adapters.

i am thinking my issue lies maybe with verizon since i tried two different brands with the same results.

i mean, if you put your pc in the dmz, and the outside world still can't see u, there are some serious issues going on.

now it could be some esotoric bug with the utorrent port checker, utorrent app, linksys, and the belkin.

that is why i'm going to try and find a port scanner. for all i know the port is open and utorrent is not reporting it correctly.

:) then i am confused. are you talking about those things my grandfather used to use? i think i saw one once in a museum :)

seriously, are you asking if i use dialup? ahh, maybe dsl or cable? i've had fios for so long, i forgot dsl and cable still use modems.

i have verizon fios. they use something called an ONT I think. It's in the garage.

there is only an ONT.

Verizon FIOS is a passive optical network. Voice, video, and data travel over three wavelengths in the infrared spectrum. To serve a home, a single-mode optical fiber extends from an optical line terminal (OLT) at a FIOS central office or head end out to the neighborhoods where an optical splitter fans out the same signal on up to 32 fibers- thus serving up to 32 subscribers. At the subscriber's home, an optical network terminal (ONT) transfers data onto the corresponding copper wiring for phone, video and internet access[2]. .

Archived