How Does the Tracker "Know" It's Me?

EuripidesMac

Hi,

I just switched from bittorrent to utorrent. I followed the directions in the FAQ for re-seeding my torrents.

How does the tracker (demonoid, etc.) know it's "me" for the sake of my "sacred" ratio :) ?

Is there something in the torrent that I UL'd to the tracker originally that still identifies me so that my "sacred" ratio gets updated?

Is there something in the torrents that I DL'd and now have completed downloads that I want to seed that identifies them as coming from me and my "sacred" ratio?

Thanks for your time,

Euripides"WishIKnewMore"Mac

Your question doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but I'll try to answer. ;)

When your torrent client connects to the tracker it tells it how much of the data it has (a part, which identifies you as a peer or everything, which identifies you as a seeder). If the tracker keeps records of how much you have uploaded and downloaded it will usually recognize you again by your IP address. Public trackers don't do this, however, so they don't recognize you, they just know how much of the file you have because your client tells that to the tracker.

Uhh. What he means is the passkey that's often embedded in private tracker torrents. By announcing with your own passkey, the tracker can associate your client, IP address, and other information with your account. If you share the torrent file you download, anyone else who runs that torrent will be interpreted as you by the tracker.

Archived