question about DHT

titon

Firts, sorry for english :)

In many foruns of bittorent, says to disable DHT to prevent banishment of trackers.... this is true? I use utorrent 1.6.1, windows XP PRO x64 with SP2, patched tcpip.sys and / 600K download / 320K upload ADSL. Do you recomend disable ou enable DHT? If enable, which option I leave ON? "Enable DHT network" and "Enable DHT for new torrents" only one of two or all two?

greets...

If your router can't handle the "connections" generated by DHT, then you should probably disable it. Other than that, there's no real reason to disable DHT. Trackers would have to go through a LOT of trouble to figure out if you're using DHT -- something they likely won't bother with. In short, it's false, and you can't get banned just for using DHT.

If you want it enabled, just check 'em both. If you want it disabled, uncheck them both.

titon, I recommend enabling it.

Trackers have the option of ensuring that their downloads are marked with a "private" flag in the .torrent file. uTorrent respects that flag and will not register or search for anything related to a download that is marked Private.

With DHT running, double-click one of your downloads from that tracker. You should notice that the DHT and Peer Exchange boxes at the bottom are greyed out. This is because the .torrent was marked "private." If they are not greyed out, then you have the option of enabling or disabling DHT and Peer Exchange for that download by using those checkboxes.

What some people do is create "hacks" or use old buggy software that ignore that private flag. Getting caught DOING THAT will get you banned from private trackers.

But trackers have no reason to tell you not to use DHT at all, so I'm sure that they mean not to use DHT on their swarms. If they are marking their .torrents properly, then uTorrent will keep you out of trouble, even with DHT running on your non-private downloads.

Tip: If you always use private trackers, then DHT is of no use to you. You can disable it by right-clicking on the DHT section of the status bar, or in Options.

Thanks for your opinion funchords. Then, let me see if I understood: when I double-click in download and the boxes of DHT and Peer Exchange is greyed out, I must leave the dht disabled, therefore this is a download of private tracker. When I double-click in download and the boxes of DHT and Peer Exchange isn´t grey out, I must leave the dht enabled, therefore this is a download of public tracker, is this?

Greets...

I will make it easier.

Enable DHT if your connection can handle it because it uses more bandwith (i think).

It does not matter if DHT is not allowed to be used because it will automaticaly gray out like ultima and funchords said. I put DHT on because my downloads are from huge websites so the trackers will be slow so DHT can help me out.

when I double-click in download and the boxes of DHT and Peer Exchange is greyed out, I must leave the dht disabled, therefore this is a download of private tracker.

Not quite. With DHT already enabled... "when I double-click in download and the boxes of DHT and Peer Exchange is greyed out," ... then DHT is disabled only for that torrent. Anyone searching for that torrent on DHT will not obtain any information stored by your client. Also, as Peer Exchange is disabled, uTorrent will not ask for or receive other peer IP addresses offered by your connected peers. DHT remains enabled for any other torrents that permit it, but is completely disabled for that torrent.

You do not have to do anything. This is automatic.

When I double-click in download and the boxes of DHT and Peer Exchange isn´t grey out, I must leave the dht enabled, therefore this is a download of public tracker, is this?

You've almost got it.

With DHT already enabled, "I double-click in download and the boxes of DHT and Peer Exchange isn´t grey out," then you may check those checkboxes and then that torrent will automatically register itself on DHT and try to find peers for you. Peer exchange will also ask for and accept peer IP addresses from your other peers. Other than checking those boxes in Properties (after you double-click), you do not have to do anything.

Great explanation funchords. You it could recommend the values to me for the following configurations? My system is windows XP PRO x64 with SP2, patched tcpip.sys and 600K download / 320K upload ADSL.

Global maximum number of connections: ?

Maximum number of connected peers per torrent: ?

Number of upload slots per torrent: ?

Enable DHT network: enable or disable?

Enable DHT for new torrents: enable or disable?

Ask tracker for scrape information: enable or disable?

Enable peer Exchange: enable or disable?

Protocol Encryption: Disabled, Enable or Forced?

Allow Incoming legacy connections: enable or disable?

And some change in the session advanced?

thank you very much!!!

• 6 months later...

Archived