Connected directly to modem and port still closed

Truckless

I have been having trouble getting a port open on my router (Linksys WRT54g v.5) so I decided to plug straight into the modem (Motorola Surfboard SB5101) to try to isolate the problem. Before you ask, I checked and the modem is not remotely configured.

I still have the same problem when plugged straight into the modem: I'm not connectable, but the status light sometimes goes green while I'm downlooading. The port checker still says the port is closed, and I can't connect to the only peer sometimes when I'm the only seeder, so something must still be wrong.

I have Cox internet and they don't show up on Azureus wiki of bad isps, but does this mean I'm behind a proxy?

That's the only thing I can imagine it could be because I've tried everything. Is there any way to tell for sure? I tried using proxyjudge.com and a couple other sites, but the results were kinda technical and seemed to give me a maybe/maybe not answer.

I just don't want to switch ISPs until I know for sure that that's what the problem is.

Ok, I compared them and they were the same. Does this mean I'm not behind a transparent proxy?

If I'm not, then can you think of any other reason why I wouldn't be connectable when plugged straight into the modem? I don't have any firewalls turned on.

Am I correct in thinking that when there's no router involved, I shouldn't have to bother with a static ip or forwarding ports? It should just be open right?

Archived