µTorrent 1.7.2 released

Firon

Anyone else have the problem with 1.7.1 build 3360 that it sometimes ignores all upload limit restrictions?

I set it to 50 and it still uploads at 150 or so for example and that applies both to the torrent upload limit and the global upload limit.

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

* Multi files' torrent

* after some (partially downloaded) files where physically deleted, and marked as "skip"

* Win98

it comes with error 1168 and stops:

[07:48:53] ReadFile error: XXXXXXX.S01E02.HDTV.XviD-LOL.avi:411140096:16384:16384:16

[07:50:09] ReadFile error: XXXXXXX.S01E02.HDTV.XviD-LOL.avi:507740160:16384:16384:16

doing re-check also fails several times, and after 2-3 times - succeeds, but after loging many of the above errors

There have been reports of utorrent 1.7 sending private info outside the tracker

The client version 1.7 will not be allowed at bitsoup.org because of this problem

we understand the need for a utorrent version to be available to you

please feel free to download utorrent 1.6.1 here

we are sorry for the troubles our utorrent members have faced due to these bugs

I'm running uTorrent 1.7.1 and seeding 2 torrents. There's no download data except for acknowledge packet traffic at 1KB/s. I've set the upload limit to 35KB/s. The upload is running at around 37.5KB/s. The speed graph shows that the upload is about 2KB/s above the 35KB/s line. The DSL connection is capable of 44KB/s upload speed. Number of connected peers per torrent is 16. Upload slots per torrent is set to 4. The torrents are working ok. Is this 2KB/s above the upload limit normal ?

Note: The number of peers trying to connect is about 100 on each torrent but I've limited the number of connected peers to 16. It could be UDP acknowledge upload traffic I suppose of these other peers trying to connect to me. The Outpost Firewall log is showing about 6 connection attempts per second. There are no local peers.

Win2K SP4, Outpost Firewall v3.51, Intel P4 1.6GHz, 512Mbyte RAM, Linksys WAG354G router.

why does when you open new torrent file the directories of that file like

the sample directorty in many movies and tv episode is at the bottom and

not at the top like it used to be and is there a way to change it because

it's annoyoing for instance i have just finished download two movie type torrents

and i didn't cancelled the downloading of the samples files because i thoughet

there isn't any(i don't download samples files because i think it's a waste of

time,download speed,ratio,and upload speed)so if you can fix it or enable

a way to change it induvidially thet would be great :)

thanks in advance. :)

>BasilBrush: do you have DHT turned on?

Yes, about 300 nodes.

The sum of the 2 torrents upload speed is 35KB/s but the overall upload speed is 37.5KB/s.

So the extra 2.5KB/s is DHT traffic - I wouldn't be surprised - the torrents seem popular.

Rather than adding the DHT traffic to the normal upload/download traffic (which may be limited) may be the DHT traffic should reduce the normal upload/download traffic to allow the limits to be adhered to. In other words the upload torrent traffic should be reduced to 32.5KB/s to allow 2.5KB/s of DHT traffic keeping the 35KB/s value constant. Just a suggestion.

When your trying to seed/upload at the maximum speed (say 44KB/s or 45KB/s) the connection starts becoming unstable due to saturation. The graph starts jumping up and down. I usually back-off the upload to 43KB/s to keep the red line stable.

The Chinese translation isn't finished then if you see the menus like that.

There have been reports of utorrent 1.7 sending private info outside the tracker

So that means that if we tell them that Azureus "sends private info outside the tracker," they'll immediately ban Azureus too? That's such a ridiculous reason to ban. If they want to ban it, then verify the reports. Gotta love how people take every rumor (?) as fact on a whim nowadays.

BasilBrush,

Another thing that will increase your upload speed beyond maximum is high half open rate set in µTorrent. The default value is 8, but many people seem to think it's "better" to set it to 50 or more. Even at the default of 8, if every connection has to negotiate the encryption handshake I guess that'd add up too!

Bitsoup.org also banned uTorrent 1.7+

At first, it was because of the > 4GB bug in 1.7, which is fixed in 1.71.

Then it was because uTorrent "leaked" information on private torrents. I just got done testing this, and it does not make the DHT "get_peers" query or do anything else out of the ordinary on DHT, when you add or start a private torrent. No information is leaked.

Finally, as I was testing the above, a third reason for banning 1.7+ was added: BitTorrent Inc.'s ownership of uTorrent and their deals with Hollywood.

Finally, as I was testing the above, a third reason for banning 1.7+ was added: BitTorrent Inc.'s ownership of uTorrent and their deals with Hollywood.

Heh, it would've been easier for them to just come out and give that as the real reason they banned it instead of giving everyone the runaround and spewing fake excuses.

I just spent 20-30 minutes literally staring at (and only at) my WireShark captures while only µTorrent was using the connection, and needless to say, it was rather boring. At any rate, I saw absolutely nothing out of the ordinary. I filtered out any IP in my peer list for the single test torrent I was using and had DHT disabled. All the logs came up with were tracker scrapes/announces and other random connections to/from "home.home," IPs coming from my subnet (192.168.x.x), multicast stuff (239.x.x.x), and other standard queries. Makes me wonder what some of these people have installed on their computers that's communicating with these IPs, if they really actually connected to them at all.

Makes me wonder what some of these people have installed on their computers that's communicating with these IPs, if they really actually connected to them at all.

That's just DHT keeping its mesh up, looking for neighbors, and etc..

The DHT query that is made when a non-private torrent is started is "get_peers" (in plaintext) and will include the infohash (in hex, of course). That query will be made to the neighbors (in hundreds of packets). Just by volume alone, it's easy to tell the difference between activity when starting a private torrent vs. activity when starting a public one, but those specific searches will make it easy.

FYI

This is from one of my private tracker

µtorrent 1.7.1 has now been banned from here. The new version contains a feature that sends your IP and upload/download information to the MPAA and the RIAA. Most sites are now in the process of banning versions 1.7 & 1.7.1

This is from another one of my private tracker

Until further notice both utorrent versions 1.7 & 1.7.1 WILL NOT be accepted as clients here.We are doing this for YOUR safety & security here as well as the site's!

I don't know what happens here ..........

Archived