Problem enabling DHT (1.2.1 beta3)

DrS

I'm using µTorrent 1.2.1 beta3 (build 335). This is my setting for DHT:

utdht29hx.png

When I add a new torrent (without private flag) and want to enable DHT for just that torrent I can't:

utdht36ls.png

The check box to enable DHT is greyd out.

Why can't I enable DHT on a per-torrent basis?

TIA

I know, but why?

Before DHT was implemented vurlix wrote the following @ http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=614:

There will be a default setting for DHT, which you can change. It will also be configurable on a per-torrent basis.

BitComet (0.60) also has a default setting for DHT, which you can change.

DHT is also configurable on a per-torrent basis but when DHT is globally enabled and disabled.

Why isn't the last option available in µTorrent?

It can't just be because µTorrent also respects the private flag, BitComet does that too.

-edit

@ chaosblade, I'd like to know the motivation for not having this option available.

/me shrugs

After finding this great new client, I registered here hoping I could somehow contribute to the development of µTorrent. Unfortunately such input apparently isn't appreciated by the handful fanboys roaming this forum. 1c3d0g's post here is a perfect example; a brain fart coming out of an empty skull.

The mind set of these poor souls is extremely narrowminded: To them µTorrent is pretty much flawless. That's so dumb. µTorrent isn't free of bugs. It's idiotic to expect that from software still fully in develpoment. Ridiculing people reporting possible bugs is so imature. They treat requests for features they won't need with the outmost hostility, especially when related to private trackers. Too bad these morons can pretty much do as they please as the forum mods are either fine with it or lack the time or skill to properly deal with them.

chaosblade, if you're not against it, you have a remarkable way of showing that.

I don't know what your post in this thread is supposed to do anyway; it doesn't answer my question at all.

Unless someone supplies a decent answer to my question, I'm done here.

PS If you feel offended, you are one of these fanboys. I only named one, and his post in this thread clearly deserved it. In case you dug up some other pic to spam with, I've seen them all.

-edit FYI The "You deserve a seizure for ur posts" gif posted by 1c3d0g is deleted.

Your feature request = bad for the DHT network. Just because BitComet does it doesn't mean it's a GOOD IDEA. Hence, it won't be implemented. Stop asking. Go away if it bothers you, or stick around and think of a better request. Report some bugs. Be useful.

Your feature request = bad for the DHT network. Just because BitComet does it doesn't mean it's a GOOD IDEA. Hence, it won't be implemented. Stop asking. Go away if it bothers you, or stick around and think of a better request. Report some bugs. Be useful.

But how would it be "bad"? What if he just choice not to use it? Surely there's no harm in that...

It's not really good for the network to be hopping on and off DHT every time you started or stopped the torrent.

I still think the best way to do this is have a setting that makes Enable DHT get unchecked on all torrents by default, so you can turn DHT on globally and not have to manually turn it off for every torrent that didn't have the private flag.

The way BitComet does it doesn't mean that the torrent is tracked on the DHT even while it is globally disabled, but rather that it will be when the DHT is enabled again. It wasn't clear before, but is that what you want from utorrent, topic creator?

/ignore 1c3d0g

chaosblade, just because you don't care for the idea, it's a bad idea for all? I think not. Good day to you too.

Firon, I mentioned BitComet to show it's quite possible to implement it. Not to show whether the idea itself is good or bad. This would only be an extra on switch. I can already turn if off, so saying it's bad for DHT makes no sense. And why should canuckerfan look up 'elitist'? Again the hostility.. What's wrong with being civil?

Animorc, exactly.

It's not really good for the network to be hopping on and off DHT every time you started or stopped the torrent.

How I please to enable DHT is my business, and my business alone. You don't seem to realise this would have no effect on how much I share. Whether or not I have DHT enabled or not, I still am constantly uploading at full capacity. I don't have DHT enabled at all, given this option, I would use it more often, because it would make it a lot easier for me to do so! How is that bad for DHT?

ColdArmor, then how is it possible in BitComet? BitComet allows to enable DHT for a single torrent without the need to enable DHT by default.

bkman, yes. If I disable DHT globally, it's off, unless I enable it for individual torrents. When I enable it for a single torrent, DHT is on again, but only sharing information about that torrent of mine. Whether I then would also be sharing information about other people's torrents through DHT (us I understand I would) doesn't matter to me, as long as no information is shared about other torrents of mine. (I explained this before many times already. Whether the message didn't come across before due to my poor writing skills, or poor understanding of others, I do hope my point gets across this time.)

I don't think you understand. In BitComet, if the DHT is off globally, and you enable it for one torrent then it will still be off even for that torrent. BitComet will say "DHT network is disabled in user settings, please enable it". This is not really different to how it works in utorrent now.

ok, let me say a few words on this:

TO ALL DHT maniacs: strange, but probably you don't understand what the hell is PRIVATE trackers, do you?

private trackers modify the torrents, so DHT will never work with such torrents, understand now?

you can enable DHT on Torrent Options, but if the torrent is from private tracker - then per-torrent option WILL NOT work (grayed).

thus way modern private trackers work.

bkman, you're right about BitComet. I just disabled DHT globally in BitComet (0.60). Loaded a new torrent (without private flag). The Task Properties of that torrent have the "Enable DHT Public Network" (and "Enable Peer Exchange") box(es) checked even though they shouldn't. The tracker tab shows:

BC-DHT-please-enable-it_30c8975c6306f32bc53d2941b9fb87bc.png

When DHT is globally disabled in BitComet, it's not possible to enable it for individual torrents, the above picture proves that. Still leaving the "Enable Public DHT network" box checked is an inconsistency in BitComet. Having it greyed out, as µTorrent does, is how it should be. Thanks for making me aware of it, I wasn't.

DHT doesn't support torrent-by-torrent basis without being enabled globally.

I understand you have to be connected to the DHT to use it. But when you use is, you don't necessarily share information about all your torrents. That's what the private flag does: It prevents sharing specific torrents through the DHT while connected to the DHT.

=====================================================================================

I now realise my request was incomplete. It would only be possible if µTorrent makes a disctintion between global and default settings. So that's what I now request: I'd like µTorrent to make a distinction between global and default DHT settings. They are not the always the same:

1. Having the global DHT setting on would connect you to the DHT. Having it off would disconnect you from the DHT.

2. Having the default DHT setting on would result in the DHT setting for new torrents to be on. Having it off would do the opposite.

3. Having the DHT setting in the "Torrent Properties" on would share that torrent through DHT. Having it off would prevent it from being shared.

Q: How is this different from the current situation?

A: 3. Is exactly how it is now, but 1. and 2. are currently joined in the general settings under "Torrent Options".

If this would be implemented, you would be able to:

- connect to DHT (1. DHT is globally on),

- start a new torrent with DHT off (2. DHT by default is off).

Q: Isn't this bad for DHT?

A: NO, not if µTorrent would be released having the following settings:

1. DHT is on globally -> you are connected to DHT

2. DHT by default is on -> new torrents are shared through DHT

ut-DHT-request_60d9f4c6958d8fae91548e18490266b4.png

Proposed "fresh-out-of-the-box" settings for µTorrent with the request implemented

Thus, if a newb/n00b would start using µTorrent, he would be connected to DHT from the beginning and (s)he would also share her/his torrents (only those without private flag as the private flag would still be respected) through DHT from the beginning.

@ the mods: As this now is a request, I would understand if you'd either move this to the feature request section, or close this thread (In case of the latter, I'd copy paste the apropiate parts and start a thread in the feature request section).

let me share a recent experience:

On a private tracker I just used I DLed 4 torrents. All were DHT acessible except one. (I have DHT enabled globally) The one torrent said "DHT not allowed" where the tracker stats are and 'Enable DHT' was greyed out. In other words, I was able to enable DHT on the other 3 torrents except that one. So its not just the tracker, cuz the only way what I just described coulda happened was if the torrent was made DHT disabled upon creation.

So folks gotta create torrents DHT enabled/disabled too.

(It can be done with Az. Not sure about any other clients or torrent makers)

Was the tracker faulty cuz I was able to enable DHT on the other 3? Who knows. But the person creating the torrent made sure just in case. So tracker admins need to request members create torrents DHT disabled too.

P.S. (It is a private tracker, it just might not have DHT restrictions. Even still, I get no ghost peers from this tracker ever, so its doing something right.)

jroc, you're right, it'd be best if all private torrents included the private flag. Although I appreciate your input, my request is about something else: I'd like µTorrent to make a distinction between "global" and "default" DHT settings.

-edit

ColdArmor, I compared µTorrent to BitComet to show it was possible to enable DHT per torrent when globally disabled. I was wrong and bkman showed me why.

At the moment it's not possible to enable DHT per torrent when DHT is globally disabled, because µTorrent makes no distinction between "global" and "default" as you can read in comment #20. There you can also read my request and motivation behind it. If you want to contribute, respond to the request made in comment #20.

jroc, I know it's not a question anymore, that has been answered. It's now a feature reqeust, that's why I wrote I wouldn't mind if the thread were moved(, or closed, in that case I'd create a feature request thread copy pasting parts from here).

Archived