1.7 - cannot access the file - being used by another process

zangdook

The torrent I'm downloading stops every few minutes with this message:

"The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process"

When I press the start button it starts up again for a few minutes. I've restarted the computer, shut down everything that's running that might be accessing files, but it still keeps happening. I only have one torrent downloading; there is one other seeding (though no-one is leeching); it doesn't seem to have these problems. It predates 1.7. The torrent with the problem, I started and immediately was offered the upgrade to 1.7. I never saw this with 1.6, and as far as I'm aware nothing has changed except the upgrade.

Running Vista. Anything else I should tell you?

Thanks for any help.

Yes! Someone please answer this, I have gotten the same issue and it is unbelievably frustrating. Everything was working fine before the upgrade now I'm getting the same error message. I have restarted countless times, I've followed the FAQ here to the letter, I tried switching torrent clients, I've even tried going back to a system restore point and NOTHING helps.

I too am running Vista.

I uninstalled google/msn desktop, and there was something in that FAQ that suggested using Run, then changing a .dll file, and when i copied and pasted the location it just came up with an error and nothing happened. As far as readyboost and superfetch I've never heard of those so I'm guessing I don't have them on my computer. I will however try that other program to see which process is using the file. I'll keep you posted.

thank god i'm not the only person who is experiencing this. I was about to start a thread but figured searching would be beneficial, and here i am.

I am getting the exact same issue. I have followed the FAQ on the website and tried everything. It only happens with certain torrents for me. Will download for a couple minutes they ill get the error. Hopefully someone on here has an answer?

I have tried going back to 1.6.1 and sill the problems persist. It only seems to happen with music torrents from Oink, i haven't experienced it with anything else ie movies, programs, tv shows. Anyone at uTorrent care to enlighten us on the problem? It's obviously not some fluke that we're all having the same issue here.

Seems like a player software indexing your music files (mp3) all the time?

Try to use (in Settings) "Downloads" "Other settings" "Append .!ut to incomplete files".

I tried the above method and it does not work. The files that were previously not working now say "access denied". other torrents that were not a problem work with no issues.\

another interesting find. After deleting the torrent from the utorrent window. i went into the spot where the partial download was placed. It would not allow me to delete the file, and i would assume this is because there is indeed another program accessing it. Just thought that point might help someone discover the problem.

I had this problem to. I think its caused by the indexing service if your saving the files in the torrent to your User Directory.

The quick fix is just to save the files somewhere else i.e. C:\Downloads\ and then copy them somewhere else when they are done.

At least thats how I was able to resolve it.

Hope this helps...

• 2 weeks later...

Indexing service sounds like the most likely culprit. Moving the download folder outside of the user directory doesn't work. I've noticed that the more files I have downloading at one time, the frequency which the error occurs on each file is increased.

Hope some brain figures this out. I don't want to go back to a resource hog.

I don't have roxio. I do have nero. Unlocker states "No locking handle found", and I didn't just run it once, it was more like a hundred times back to back, before the file gave the error to after the error.

I looked at what the pieces were doing, and it appears that just one piece is setting the error off. i.e. If file x is downloading with 1000 pieces. Each piece is comprised of 64 blocks that add up to 1M. Every time piece 360 completes it's final block, I recieve the error message. Notable is that other pieces before and after 360 completes and there is no problem. When 360 gets the error message it resets at 52 blocks complete.

{correction} Multiple pieces cause the error, but some pieces can complete while the errant pieces are in the download process.

I have no idea why any of this would be important, I'm only desrcibing behavior in the hope that someone can help figure it out.

Thanx,

Joe

I've got Windows Vista Premium and Google Desktop and it "seemed" that when I disabled Google Desktop I no longer had the problem with one of my downloads. Strange thing also is that I was only having the problem with just one of my downloads. They were all being downloaded to the same folder though.

I too would like to find an answer to this problem.

Thanks,

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

I encountered the same problem in Vista. I disabled Media Center Manager, Google Desktop, AVG Resident Shield, Picasa, but the problem still happened.

I then downloaded the following tool:

http://www.linchpinlabs.com/resources/handle-viewer/usage-design.html

The problem I had was with a wma file, so I ran the command line version a couple of times in a row against any wma files on the system:

HandleViewerCmd -h "wma" >> out.txt

and found that Roxio was running as a service and locking the particular wma files. When I stopped the service (RoxMediaDB9), the problem went away. While Roxio might not be your problem, I found this tool very useful to identify exactly which processes were locking the files I was downloading.

Interesting that you mention Roxio! I've got Roxio Media Creator 9 installed along with Google Desktop. At first I thought it might be Google Desktop, so I disabled it, but still had the same problem. I'll have to check out the Roxio Media Creator! Thanks for the tip!

Jeff

I have had the same problem in the last few days, dont have roxio but i have google desktop, even though i have indexing turned off i may shut the whole program down, just glad other ppl had the same problem, boy i hope it fixes the problem, its bloody annoying and does it to most of my torrents.

Same problem with my system new dell Vostro 200 system running windows vista buisness, and Roxio, good hints guys on how to fix problem! Hope this helps.

I pressed Ctrl alt del to bring up task manager and in there was ?something like Roxio look up prog running in processes tab, I pressed end process and no probs since, take it this some sort of media check up program so Roxio can claim any new media downloaded for its own, also stopped some sort of similar program running in my left hand bottom screen startup area (this did not stop problem but maybe both were having similar affect) come on Utorrent programmers make downloaded content secure from these anoying programs. Will update with exact name of program when I have restarted my system as I assume it will automatically start up again when I do this. Dont you love gready companies.

Dr Dave

I've been having the same problem. It seems to only occur on large torrents with multiple files. I've been able to stop the problem on A FEW of the torrents by deactivating the Vista User Account Control (UAC). That's the program that always asks you to cancel/allow every process that you activate. This seemed to work but there were still a few other torrents that had the problem, so the error may be caused by a number of processes.

You can disable the User Account Control by going to the control panel select user accounts and family safety, then select user accounts, then turn user account control on or off, then uncheck the box and click OK. NOTE: You will need to restart the computer before it takes effect.

Archived