Warning when opening DHT torrent when DHT is off

ettpok

I think µTorrent needs to inform user when they have turned DHT off from the settings and try to open a torrent that would need it (no tracker address & no private flag).

In this case µT should say something like:

"The torrent you are opening might need DHT to find any peers. However, DHT is currently disabled from the settings. Would you like to enable it?"

Edit: seeds -> peers

"Seeds" can also mean distributed copies of the torrent. If no distributed copy of the torrent is visible, then you're a LOT less like to complete the torrent than otherwise.

...basically you have to hope there's a peer/seed that has the parts you're missing that you either can't see or is running initial seeding mode.

But a torrent that cannot connect to ANY peers OR seeds might as well cause this message if DHT is disabled.

I'm sorry, I should have written peers instead of seeds in my first post..

I often make trackerless torrents to share something with my friends. I don't make them private so that DHT would act as the tracker. However, every once in a while there's trouble getting the user to find me (the seed). Disabled DHT has always been the cause so I'd hope there would be some kind of warning to prevent this.

@ajones81: No, torrent deleted from the tracker is NOT same as torrent with no trackers. The tracker's announce addresses are stored inside the .torrent file and when there's none..well..the torrent is trackerless and some other methods have to be used to get the transfer to begin (basically DHT or adding the peers manually).

how would utorrent know that it was deleted?

I'm not an expert in these matters so I think someone else can answer this better, but I've often seen the 'torrent is not in pool' error, which I think can happen if the torrent is either very new or has been deleted. Again, not sure so...

Anyway, even if there is no way uTorrent can figure out whether a torrent has been deleted from the tracker or not, I think the warning should be shown (with a checkbox to turn it off) whenever a torrent supporting DHT is loaded and DHT is turned off in the program.

Also, for trackerless torrents this feature is a must as Firon said.

@ettpok: Thanks for the clarification. However, AFAIK, users with torrents that have been deleted from the tracker's pool can also benefit from DHT, so the warning would be useful for them too (provided such torrents can be identified; dAbReAkA says they can't).

EDIT: Ok, DreadWingKnight pretty much confirmed what dAbReAkA said, but the request still stands.

Archived